Long Term Prognosis for Egg Yolk Peritonitis

I know what daily dosing means. She does not specify if it's once or twice etc per day. She just says the dose per dose not per day.

Hi there. I've dealt with this problem as well. Calcium gluconate can be given once a day at the dose Kathy mentioned (1ml) or you can use 1 Tablespoon per gallon of water. I used it with vitamin-electrolyte powder in waterers. Be careful not to overdo it since too much calcium can cause problems as well. Start out dosing once a day, every other day so that 3 doses are given in 1 week, and see if you notice improvement within that week. Here's some information on mineral deficiencies:
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._poultry/mineral_deficiencies_in_poultry.html
Good digestion is important for the uptake of nutrients, so if you are not already, Probios dispersible powder is very helpful: http://www.probios.com/powdersgranules.html

I used the calcium as Cathy suggested, but gave it to her subcutaneously, not orally. Now, a few months later, the bottle is still full, but moldy. Is there any way to keep a bottle from getting moldy...there were no directions on it...but perhaps keeping it in the fridge?

I used the calcium as Cathy suggested, but gave it to her subcutaneously, not orally. Now, a few months later, the bottle is still full, but moldy. Is there any way to keep a bottle from getting moldy...there were no directions on it...but perhaps keeping it in the fridge?
I keep mine in the fridge, but also keep a new one just in case.

-Kathy

HI everyone,

I have a year old red sex link hen. She is a real sweetheart and a pet, although not all our chickens are, this one is. Just want to say that up front, as I can't really cull her as I might with another non-productive chicken. My daughters would be devastated.

So, we've figured out by reading on-line that she has egg yolk peritonitis. She's been laying thin-shelled eggs for a month, then started laying shell-less eggs, as evidenced by egg yolk under the roost and slimy messes in the nesting box. We didn't quite know who the culprit was until we found her lethargic in the nesting box one day.

We brought her inside for a few days and after reading a lot of threads, started her on antibiotics: .5 cc of Tylan 50 subcutaneously in her breast muscle. She also didn't poop for a day, gave her a warm bath to no avail. But, the next day she started pooping again and perked up...drank a ton. She has been on antibiotics for five days and is responding great. We bring her in each night to give her meds and some extra protein and time in her own box. Yesterday she laid a rubbery and empty egg shell. I've also seen the egg-yolky-poops that people have been kind enough to post on-line.

One last item: none of the other hens are affected and all are laying just fine. The flock is on Dumor layer pellets, has oyster shell on the side, and free-ranges during the day. They have a dust bath in the coop and loved using it all winter. I've checked for mites and there are none. I wormed the flock around Jan. 1st...twice, two weeks apart.

So, after all that information, here is the question: what do you think the long term prognosis is for a hen like this? I don't mind if she doesn't lay productively, but will she continue to be sick periodically? Right now she is inside at night and then after her special I'm-so-spoiled breakfast, she goes outside for the day with the flock to free range. She appears healthy and happy at this point. Just, still has shell-less eggs. I can also say that her abdomen never got swollen or spongy. She doesn't appear uncomfortable or underweight either.

Thanks for your thoughts and experiences!
Marisa

This is an older post but my experience is that they can go on for a long time laying no eggs and laying internally before it becomes a problem and I think it will eventually. Get her on high doeses of liquid calcium and d3 and maybe multi-vitamins. I would syringe in to her mouth to make sure she is getting a dose daily or twice a day.
My chicken did exactly the same, the first one died, the second has an implant and I am modifying her diet as above to see if this corrects it.

I have a question. I have a Jersey Giant. It took me awhile to figure out who was laying double yolkers, but it is our biggest girl. All spring I fed pelleted layer. And then, I had a duck get lame, so I've switched to Flock Raiser and added oyster shell for the hens. OK, so all spring, I would find no shell eggs that were consumed. After I added the oyster shell, we had the biggest double yolk egg ever. Since the oyster shell, no more soft shells. So I guess that girl needed more calcium than the others.

This morning, I collected an egg that was coated in yolk. And there was yolk painted on the shaving. I found the girl with the yellow butt and it was no surprise who it was. So I guess, she had a yolk in the canal in front of the egg with the shell. Is that yolk residue going to cause issues?

Any questions?

Back
Top Bottom