Long time a'coming...

welcome-byc.gif
I'd get rid of any of them if they show the slightest aggression towards people. If you get a new roo does it need to be a certain breed? I've heard Cochin roos are very nice with chickens and people.

Incidentally everyone is swamped with too many roos, many very good quality roosters among them - it's a buyers market - and a lot are offered free to someone who won't eat them.

Have you checked out your local craigs list? Might be a great spot for getting rid of your roos also. Once you have 20 posts on BYC you can participate in the Buy, sell, trade forum and there is also a section of animals to be given away free.

If you go to "where am I, where are you," you can locate your state thread and mention you are rehoming several roos - that may help you.

Definitely plenty of roosters out there. We gave some away today. We raise Buff Orpington's, Black Orpington's, Dominique's, standard size Blue Cochins and Silver Laced Wyandotte's and the Orpington's are usually the most Gentle. We have had Cochins Challenge us too. I think the trick to having a gentle rooster is to handle them often and that doesn't always work.

Thanks so much for all of the good advice! Today, I'm going to look them all over for the closest to "Standard of Perfection" and narrow it down to a few, then watch them this week for temperament towards me and the hens. If I get stuck, I'll post pix and have you guys tell me what to do! LOL!

Here is an attachment of some of the roosters I have that I am trying to pick from. I did not get each one and couple are duplicates. The FBCM is the more aggressive of the two. The other one that I did not get a pic of has nice feathering down the legs, but is a smaller roo. The first two pix are of an aggressive roo that I caught making a ruckus with feathers from another roo in his beak right before I snapped these two pix. I don't expect a book,, but a brief set of observations on "that's a really bad trait get rid of any like that" or "pick one that looks like this one" with some behavior pointers would be appreciated. They look enough alike and I don't know what I'm looking for that some guidance would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

LOL! Right? I'm trying to feel lucky. No one seems to want to at least tell me which of my pictures is their favorite so I have some culling info to go by. Don't be afraid! You can't hurt my feelings!! Are they ALL that bad?

Back
Top Bottom