Long time listener, first time caller...

KoopOnTruckin

Songster
Jun 17, 2016
East Orlando, FL
So I've been stalking this website for almost 2 years now and decided to finally come out of the shadows. I started my flock last spring, 10 chicks turned into 20 within a week, and a few months later we had 33. A few security issues (raccoons and my kid's golden retriever puppy) and several stews later, I'm down to 20 layers, 1 RiR rooster, and 2 pekin ducks. All security issues are handled, the coop is solid (60 sf inside, 320 sf outside) and guarded by 3 very well-trained (finally!) dogs, and now I'm planning my broiler flock.

I just put in my order from Welp Hatchery for 25 more chicks (5 white rock males and 5 females, 5 Delaware males and 5 females, and 5 Dark Cornish males). The plan is to start my broiler flock, and with some fun experimentation I hope to cross the Cornish roos with the white rock and Delaware hens to get a sturdy meat bird that will supplement our grocery shopping. I'm in the process of putting together a small 48 sf mobile coop that will house the chicks, separated inside to keep the different sizes/cycles apart. Small enough to keep them from flapping and running, but still offering some "free range" greens and proteins.

I've read about "chicken math" and promised myself and my wife that I would never subscribe to such a lifestyle - and now here we are. My wife has made peace with it, and she's happy with the manure they provide to her garden. And the kid loves the chickens, which is important.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! I've loved reading your intro and seeing your pic! Many of us were stalkers of BYC before joining, I did a couple of years too ;)

Good luck with your new order and the breeding to make a good table bird. It sounds a very interesting project.

Enjoy your time here on BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

welcome-byc.gif

It is great you decided to join our community here at BYC! Please enjoy being able to be around people that love chickens as much as you! I think your coop looks gorgeous especially with those tress in the edge. I would recommend posting a picture on our coop page because I am sure many members think it is very interesting! You can post that here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance I really love the design and your chickens look so natural in it!
yippiechickie.gif
I am happy you decided to get more chicks for your flock, if you ever run into problems with Raising your chicks visit this forum for extra help! https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks if you are an expert at that already feel free to go on there and help others with that and other subjects. I hope you and your flock are doing well and I welcome you to our wonderful roost! Good luck in the future!
Justin
thumbsup.gif

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
That looks like a really nice set-up for you flock!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Oh love your set up!!! Chicken math is VERY difficult to avoid. I promised myself the same thing...didn't work for me. Ha!

Make yourself at home here. Some links to other areas of BYC have been left for you for some late night reading.

And we do welcome you to our flock! :)

Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens. Now that you are official you can enter most of the contests on this site.

Back
Top Bottom