Long Time Lurker....

Lehi Cougar

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 13, 2015
I have been on BYC gobbling up information for about a year now. Plan on starting work on a coop here shortly and we are picking up our first four chicks April first. I feel like I am pretty knowledgeable, having read and learned from so many others here. But I do have one question I need an answer too. I have read about automatic doors and people getting tired of having to close the coop each night and open the coop door each morning. My coop and attached run will be built like a fortress. It will have cement footings. Hardwire mesh on the run floor and should be impervious to any would be predators ( I live in a regular neighborhood, so not expecting many predators, but better safe than sorry).

So finally to my question, what is the importance of closing the door each night. If I feel the run is safe can I just leave the door open. Cold weather I guess is one good reason to close it are there others besides keeping the predators out? Can I just leave the coop door open to the run?

TIA,

Lehi Cougar

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congrats on your impending chicks. I too always close and lock up on a night just to be extra secure. You just never know and I learnt the hard way by losing my birds. I would just not risk it again. Good luck with your chicks. Be sure to ask any questions you have the forum is very diverse with lots of helpful and friendly members.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Hello and welcome to BYC!

My birds feel much safer when they are locked in at night even though my run is very secure. Once in a while I get baby mice that squeeze through my 1/2 inch hardware cloth on the run and if they were to get into the coop, this could cause night terrors and panic. I wouldn't sleep if I didn't close the door to the run into the coop. LOL But it is entirely up to you.

Lots of things can be suburban predators...cats, dogs, snakes, skunks, raccoons, rats and mice.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask around in the forums. Welcome to our flock!

Thanks all, I can see that it makes sense now to close the door each night. Would be sad to have something happen that could have been preventable. I appreciate the advice.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined our community.

You've received some good advice already from the previous posters! Good luck with your future chicks.

Back
Top Bottom