Longest wait EVER!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Nashonii, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Nashonii

Nashonii Chillin' With My Peeps

I has been 8 months since I got my week old Lavander chicks. The males were red-combed 4 months ago! Finally got our first light blue egg day before yesterday! These girls certainly took their time reaching maturity!
    Is this the usual age for first timers? She didn't lay one yesterday, so I'm wondering if they will be speratic in her laying.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Hi Neighbor!

I got you beat. March of 2012 I hatched some chicks myself, call them Easter Eggers, from eggs I got locally. The first one laid nine months later, during the first week of December. The first of their daughters laid at 21 weeks late this summer. I know genetics enters into it, but REALLY! Those hens laid really well once they finally started.

I don’t know what breed your Lavenders are, but there is no normal age for pullets to start laying. Mine are just a barnyard mix. I’ve had some start at 16 weeks, and now some at 9 months. Some hatchmates of the ones that started in December waited another 3 months to start, a full year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by