longtime chicken owner still some questions

busby965

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 11, 2013
I have had chickens since birth some 30 something years ago but have purchased my first black copper marans chicks and plan to build an aviary type enclosure for them i live in alabama so cold weather not such a problem just wanted some ideas on sq ft per breeding bird. as i always have free ranged never been a problem any suggestions would be great

Greetings from Kansas, busby965, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Happy you joined us! It is recommended that you allow 4 sq. ft. per bird in the coop and 10 sq. ft. per bird in the run. Good luck to you!

Welcome to BYC

My dear friend is a Bamalady KD.

welcome-byc.gif

I had Coppers and loved them and I have a Black Maran Roo whom I simply adore - He is Glorius. A fox took out his ladies so I need to get some more layers for him. I love the dark eggs.

I live in Florida and while we likewise don't have a full winter, we do have frosty days. Okay usually 3 at least!

Frost is the problem. Make sure your roosts are wide enough that the chickens feathers cover their feet when roosting and do make the coops draft free but allow for some air flow because Humidity = Frost and Frost is bad Good venting around the top. Consider ease in cleaning too. I asked my husband to raise up my coops on 4x4's so that I don't have to stoop to clean the coops. We also used linoleum as flooring because it allows for quick cleaning. I can clean that coop in 4 minutes tops - whole side opens up and I can push all the icky stuff off, hose it out fast and voila easy cleaning.

My chickens denuded the grass in the run in about 4 days. I did not expect that and I have a huge run for my chickens.

Good luck with your chickens and welcome to the forum!

Caroline from Jacksonville

Greetings from Kansas, busby965, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Happy you joined us! It is recommended that you allow 4 sq. ft. per bird in the coop and 10 sq. ft. per bird in the run. Good luck to you!
this is good. Bigger is better. Most folks eventually want more birds. Welcome to BYC.

You will become addicted to chickens and be powerless to resist buying more, than lots more - build more now, or be building more a few times this year.

Back
Top Bottom