Longtime lurker...finally registered, age and gender question

Chicken-fil-a

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 27, 2010
Hi!
I am a longtime lurker on this site and you guys helped me take the plunge into the abyss of chickendom. My daughter and I thank you for that, but my husband does not. LOL!
lol.png
I have wanted chickens for almost two years and we finally bought some adult chickens (BO rooster, BO hen, White Leghorn hen, mystery red hen) about 7 weeks ago. We liked them so much we picked up two chicks yesterday and are keeping them in quarantine until 4-6 weeks have passed. I really want two more layers since one of the hens in the first round turned out to be a rooster. The guy we bought the chicks from said they were around 7 weeks and, as far as he could tell:rolleyes:, were pullets. One is a Barred Rock and the other is a Black Astralorp (sp?)

My questions are: Is the age about correct? Each wire panel is 14"x14" for perspective. Also, do they look like pullets to you? I have been reading about the barred rocks and the dark coloring leads me to believe it is, in fact, a she. But...the fronts of the legs aren't dark. What about the comb and wattles? They seem kind of girly to me, but all I know is what I read. I have no experience to go by.

Thank you in advance...I can't wait to get to know all of you!
smile.png

49851_dscn1327.jpg

49851_dscn1328.jpg

49851_dscn1333.jpg

49851_dscn1330.jpg

They look like pullets to me, and the age seems about right too. If anything, they might be a week or two older.

Thank you for your responses. They seem girly to me too, but then again, I was sure I had a beautiful giant BO hen on my hands...
roll.png
right up until "she" started crowing!

We are heading out for lunch, but I can't wait to see any other opinions when I get back.

I agree, they look like pullets.
thumbsup.gif
Have fun with them!

And
welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to the addicting chicken world! You're going to love it here at BYC!
wee.gif

welcome-byc.gif

I agree that they look like pullets. They also look to be 2-3 months old. The Barred one looks more like a Cuckoo, but could feather out better after her first molt.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom