Longtime lurker, new 'joiner' from Washington State

Shokokuphoenix

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 22, 2013
King County, Washington
Hi y'all,

My name's Wendy and I'm a featherholic. I've been raising birds and fowl since I was all of three years old, deep in the heart of Central Florida. I've got Red Golden pheasants, a few Lady Amherst's pheasants, a small army of button quail and a legion of Coturnix quail, and in the 'bator I've got more quail, some black Langshan, Phoenix chickens in both standard and bantam size, handful of black-tailed white Japanese bantams (Chabo) and Ohikis in shojo (red-ginger), silver, red and golden. I'm also a licensed master falconer, and currently have a Harris hawk and a red-tailed hawk, and in the non-feathery department, I have a 5 month old Pembroke Welsh Corgi, a 120 pound German Shepherd, and a husband who puts up with all of my crap (he's the most important 'critter' of them all!). :D

Now to have fun with the 'standard' Q&A list:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I've been raising birds and chickens since I was three. I hatched out my first Society finches when I was five, and started trapping wild songbirds with a box trap that I built myself a few months later.

I remember clearly the first time I saw a great big ol' black-breasted red rooster wandering around my grandma's chicken yard. To me, he looked like a fiery painting come to life; some rare, exotic treasure. I chased him down, grabbed him and carried him around in a bear hug with his golden feet pointed outward. My momma was terrified and started yelling that 'that ol' fightin' rooster was gonna get you!' and swore that I was gonna get the crap spurred out of me, however even if he had bore some interest in giving me a well-deserved 'what-for', I suspect he was too intimidated by getting toted around by a toddler to fight back. He was calm, beautiful and gentle, and in my arms, simply HUGE. Eventually I was forced to put him down and he quickly ran off, scared for his life and clucking his disgust. He did leave me however with a lasting lifelong love of roosters and chickens.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

A whole mess of them in the 'bator (see above for specifics)... right now I've only got ornamental pheasants and the button/Coturnix quails.

(3) What breeds do you have?

See above; they are in the 'loading screen' version of chickendom. I have ALWAYS loved longtails, phoenix, onagadori and the ohikis. My favorite chicken colors are the Silver Duckwing, Shojo, and Black-breasted Red.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Ye olde Google.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Falconry (chasing and catching small game with hawks; in my case, I chase and catch bunnies, pigeons and starlings - this takes me all over the central and western half of the US), art and drawing (I've illustrated a few childrens' books), playing video games, going to heavy metal concerts, watching the Walking Dead with my hubby, and drinking caffiene in quantities that should only be an option for racehorses.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I wear a size 8 shoe, am taller than my husband, once put a truck into a ditch in 3 foot deep snow and got it out with creative use of a rubber floor mat (God rest its plastic soul), love the flavor of a good blue-rare steak and coconut, I once grew a pumpkin and some strawberries in an office window 17 stories up, am a 6th generation Floridian, can build a computer from scratch, could swim before I could walk, and think that garlic is the only redeeming member of the allium family (raw onions are the devil's stinky fingers).

welcome-byc.gif
Gee I hope you make something of yourself by the time you grow up
gig.gif

Thanks Drumstick!
smile.png
A good sense of humor (and its related 'increased life expectancy' effect) is one of the very few genetic gifts my ancestors left me. I suspect that they were trying to counterbalance the whole 'skin is pasty-pale and prone to burst into open flame upon application of direct sunlight' and the ever-joyful 'increased risk of obesity' traits!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom