Lonolin for Wet Feather?

jsr5

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 17, 2018
Mid Missouri
I did a search and dindt find anything so I"m asking. Has anyone tried lanolin on a duck with wet feather? I"m thinking I"m going to try it with one of mine that has chronic wet feather I cant seem to fix it any other way. Just hoping to find out if it has been tried and if it workede or made things worse or ?............................

I never have, but a while back I read this interesting thread about a preen oil replacement.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/preen-oil-replacement.1433640/#post-23685427

I never ended up making the recipe or trying to supplement my duck's oils. I just gave her lots of baths and then kept her warm and dry. The vet said she had arthritis and that's why she didn't preen, so we gave her prescribed anti inflammation medication and cold laser treatments as well.

THANKS! I"ll go read about the replacement just what I have been searching for. I even looked up the composition of preen gland oil and lanolin to see if they had any similarities they do seem to have some and both work in a way that sounds similar. I gotta do somthing she is getting damp and then cold and she won't stay where I put her in the dry.

THANKS! I"ll go read about the replacement just what I have been searching for. I even looked up the composition of preen gland oil and lanolin to see if they had any similarities they do seem to have some and both work in a way that sounds similar. I gotta do somthing she is getting damp and then cold and she won't stay where I put her in the dry.
I completely understand. I had my duck in our master bath for most of last winter to keep her dry.

We ended up building a solid roofed covered area for part of their run and only letting them out in the rest of it when it was not raining. And we got the largest sweeter heater - which is supposed to be really safe.

If you decide to use a supplemental oil replacement let me know if it works!

I certainly will I got the lanolin today will get out for a warming bath in the morning when I let them out then put a lil dab on her let her do her own preening thing then make sure I get her keel really well once she is dry. I hope it works for the poor girl the swamping the coop out and putting down fresh straw will help too for a day or so till the turds wet it all back down never done taking care of our feathered friends.

BTW if you go looking for pure lanolin (everyone has bag balm but it has petrolatum) go to the walmart or other bigger store and go to nursing mother supplies the stuff they use for chapped and tender nipples is pure lanolin. Thanks to my Orshelns farm store manager for suggesting it. She is the bomb!

Back
Top Bottom