Look at this EGG! OUCH!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pinkchick, Dec 25, 2008.

1. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    When I went out to feed this morning this is what I found.

Egg on the left next to the ruler......WOW that had to hurt!
    It actually measures 2 3/4" long and 1 3/4" wide. [​IMG]

The next egg in sequence is one that I got yesterday. These must be coming from my older girlz. They're so big I can't close the egg cartons! [​IMG]

I posted a thread asking about my banty's that I believed had stopped laying about 3 weeks ago but after setting all the different sized eggs together I must assume that the smallest eggs belong to my banty's right? They just seem larger than when I first got them and they were laying what I thought were very tiny tiny eggs. Could they be older than I think they are? The eggs do get bigger from when they start laying right?

Thanks!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    OUCH is correct.

Probably a double yolker.

3. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    the small one looks to big to me, To belong to a banty maybe its just the pic. though

4. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Probably just wishful thinking on my part ...just want those gals to lay, lay, lay. They can't keep up with my kids!

5. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

lucky you.!! those are some nice eggs

6. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    yes nice eggs.. I have a run of small eggs, then a run of big eggs then a run of no eggs [​IMG]

7. bullrider

bullrider Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Utah
    :eek:WOW that had to hurt its the size of my turkey eggs

8. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Having actually given birth I look at that and remember staring at the top of my daughter's head and going, "Wow! No wonder that hurt so bad!" [​IMG]

9. pixiechic

pixiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    North GA
    Lucille, my Cornish X, lays eggs that big on a fairly regular basis - they are almost always double-yolkers. She's a big girl, but even so, I suspect those giant dinosaur eggs make the poor girl's eyes water. We've been giving our extra eggs to the local women's shelter, but we have to keep Lucille's eggs because they won't fit in the egg cartons. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by