Look at what I got!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WVChickenFarmer, Jun 5, 2011.

1. WVChickenFarmer

WVChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Union, WV
    I must be crazy or something. I ended bringing 2 more chicks home yesterday. I have no clue what they are. The yellow one has feathers on her/his legs.

I do have a question. When would I be able to put them with our 3-4 week old chicks? Can I do that now or do I need to wait?

[​IMG]

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I would wait to put the two age groups together. There is a chance the older chicks will pick on the new ones. Wait until they are bigger, and can fend for themselves a ittle better. They are very cute!

3. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    If they are about the same size you could introduce now. If its obvious they are a lot younger I would wait a week or so. Then on the day you take yours out of their brooder (place them in a new box for holding) clean the brooder, new bedding etc then put everyone back in. It's all new to everybody and they should not get picked on so much. With some of the feed stores having their chick sales slow down the ones still for sale or not day old and in many cases about 2 weeks old. I have mixed some together as they were very close by a week in age and had no issues.

4. WVChickenFarmer

WVChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Union, WV
    Thanks so much for your help. I think I might just wait a week or two.

5. TracyLK

TracyLK Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    I have a similar situation to you as I have 6 chicks that are 3 to 4 weeks old and I just got 3 new 1 week olds. I tried to introduce them but it didn't go too well. Some of the older gals were relentlessly picking on and bullying the younger ones. So I had to separate them. I posted on here earlier today about it and received some feedback. What I did was separate the brooder with an old screen window so that they can see each other but no bullying can go on. I am hoping to reintroduce them in a week or two. Good luck and let me know how it works out for you.

6. Rachy

Rachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    UK
    Feathery legs, possibly a Pekin (Cochin). They are beautiful by the way x

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Try putting them together. You will know right away if it's going to work. Waiting a week might be too long and it's hard integrating them. I'm going through the integrating process now. Id really try it now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by