Look at what I just found hanging out with the chickens in the coop...

NicInNC

Crowing
15 Years
Jun 23, 2008
North Carolina
12304_p5132161.jpg

12304_p5132162.jpg

I let the dogs out to go to the bathroom before I head to bed and I noticed my silkie was out of the coop and laying in the corner of the run. She's done this a few times, so I went out to put her in the coop and lock them up. That's what I saw the baby possum. I freaked out at first because I thought he may have eaten some of the chicks, but he was just walking around checking things out. Poor little thing was scared. I felt bad for him. I brought him in for my girls to see and then I let him loose in the woods. He STUNK.
sickbyc.gif
I guess I'm going to have to lock the chickens up earlier than usual from now on.

That is too cute - I want it.
I used to tend to a possum when I worked at the zoo - soooo soft and snuggly!
Quick bath in baby shampoo will knock that stink right off.

Probably my favorite varmint.
Although, one hasn't wrecked any of my junk yet. ^_~

I was scared he might bite me even though he didn't appear to be the least aggressive. That's why I picked him up by his tail. Shoot...you shouldn't have told me that they can smell nicer and be sweet critters. If I had known that, I probably would have kept him.
lol.png

Oh yeah, they can bite like the devil - don't get me wrong!
See those fat cheeks?
They're hiding a lot of muscle geared specifically for chomping.
The one at the zoo had been in captivity all its life, so she was pretty cool with whatever.

If you find him again and wanna give it a shot, go get it some shots!
Feed it catfood and some people food as treats.
(Oh, and check your local laws about pet possums)

Did I mention "soft"? ^____^;

Wow! I've never seen a real live possom before. How exciting, even more exciting that you found it in time
wink.png
I saw one on the side of the road once when I was driving through Missouri. But that's the closest I've ever been. Neat.

the cool thing about opossums is that they don't stick around. they travel to where food is available...mostly grubs, mice, and rats, but they might stick around if food is readily available...

They are adorable. That is for sure. I don't know much about opossum rearing and such but we sure do see a lot of them dead on the roads which leads me to believe that there are a lot of young opossums without any parents to tend to them.

When we were working on the renovation (ongoing project) of our house I had the addition stripped down to bare dirt. with a large section of the upper level exposed. The house had always been quite open to the wildlife of the area. Well I was taking a break as my father in law had stopped by to see what was happening. As we were chatting over a couple of beers I looked up into the floor joists to the second level and spied a white face with pink nose and beady black eyes looking down at me. Of course it was a little opossum.

Back
Top Bottom