Look what I found in my yard!

fancbrd4me02

Songster
11 Years
Nov 15, 2009
San Diego, California
My hubby and i found a chicken with about 12 hatchlings hidden in our straw bales on Saturday night. It was one of those wild gamefowl/americauna mixes that run around our neighborhood. The next day she had her chicks out and about, but there were a lot less of them. We assumed a hawk or something got them. Last night at dusk, my Hubby decided to see if he could find where they bedded down for the night in case she didn't find a safe place. We have babcat and racoons in our yard nightly. He heard distressed peeping and found 3 chilled chicks, two that he thought were dead. I put them in my incubator (they later revived, I teased my husband and said they were "zombies", lol) and we removed the rest of the chicks excpt for one from the hen. They need homes if anyone in So. Cal wants them, pm me. Here they are!

44581_img_3244.jpg

I have a 2 day old and 2 week old chicks in my brooder. I could always use more babies. I am in National City and could take them off your hands. I work until 5 tonight but could meet you somewhere. Just PM me and let me know.
big_smile.png

my husband's cousin is in North park. i will ask her if she knows anyone who might want them. I think she has 4 already and thats all you can have in the city. Congrats on your find..............

I'm sure something would have ate them as well. We get these wild chicken moms in our yard that show up with a bunch of newborns and we always wonder where they came from. Sometimes we take the chicks and sometimes we let them be. Usually if we don't intervene most if not all the chicks get eaten in the first week, and sometimes the mother is also killed. Thats why I left her with one, I have noticed that if i take them all they just find another hiding place, and in 3 weeks will show up with more chicks. Also, if they have one or two to start with they tend to have better luck keeping them alive. It's always really hard to decide what to do when these wild chikens show up with babies. If I take them the mom is very distressed, and I have chickens I don't need and can't keep. But if I don't take them it's pretty much a death sentence.

Back
Top Bottom