Look what I found in the run today!

ep.gif

Glad no chickens were hurt - but I have to admit that is one beautifull bird- I love seein gthem as long as they don't bother my chickens
had one taken once hated the hawk but still he only does as nature intended - again
ep.gif

thats for sure a Juv Coopers hawk and by the size a female. I know its tough to face it, but I bet if you ruffed her up a little and sent her on her way she would stay away from chickens the rest of her life. In fact if she was lucky enough to make it to adult hood she would teach her children to stay away from chickens. Accipiters (coopers, gosh, sharpshins) learn where to hunt and who to hunt from their parents. Imagin that! Teach a hawk to fish in the right place and generations fish for them selves in the right place the rest of thier lives. Peace to all!

Wow that is wierd. My daughter had our Chihuahua pup outside yesterday and one of those decided to try and get her (the pup)
it swooped down and I guess saw my daughter and landed on the porch beside my daughter, she came riunning in the house screaming bloody murder. It must be the time of year they are learning how to hunt as was stated earlier by Redwood Forrest Bantams. I am sure the one that was hunting our Chihuahua was a Cooper's Hawk as well as we have a family of them living in the back of our two acres, and I have seen no other hawks around here in three years.

Quote:
We had a large owl try to get our chihuahua one night. And that darn bird showed up the same time every night for a week looking for my dog.

Beutiful hawk. Maybe it did learn its leason about chickens. I bet she was more afraid of being handled than you were of her.. lol

Quote:
I agree with Cgmccary, thats a juvenile Coopers (female as well), and no real threat to full grown large fowl. Chicks and bantams are fair game though. I would suggest that you cover the run with something a bit more substantial as bird netting is so easy to get through...

It came thru the door that I leave open so the chickens can get back into the run and coop when they free-range. She tried many times to go up thru the bird netting but couldn't.

I didn't ruff her up but did close her in the run until my wife got home from the store. I thought this might make her think twice about entering again. Plus I wanted her to take some pictures.

WOW!!! she's beautiful glad to here none of your chicken were hurt
smile.png
we have a couple hawk that nest in out big tree in th back but they never caused us problem but i bet they would if we had bantams

Back
Top Bottom