1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Look what I found!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sara, Sep 7, 2007.

1. sara

sara Title Needed Here

[​IMG]
    I don't know how long she has been sitting, I can hardly wait! Poor thing has more eggs than fit under her!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  2. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    How absolutley precious!!!! [​IMG] Bless her little heart...she's trying to cover 'em all!!!

3. ali

ali Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    newalla, ok
    AWWWWWW!!!! THAT'S SOOOO CUTE! GOOD LUCK LITTLE MOMMA [​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Good luck! I would candle the eggs and remove infertiles. If she can't cover them all she risks hatching none when she rotates them and the ones at the edges cool down.

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I was wondering if I should grab the couple at the edge and pitch them. I'll try to candle in a couple days because I think she had to have just started sitting. I'm sure she was out with the other two just a couple days ago.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, I would take all the eggs and candle them and mark them. That way you don't toss out the duds, and make sure no new ones pop in. As for taking out the edge ones, the edge ones might not be the edge for more than a few hours at a time.

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Thanks! I will definately take your suggestions. My other broodies were alway in the barn and I knew when they started sitting. This one is a total shock!

8. sara

sara Title Needed Here

DH called me this morning and told me two little silkie babies have hatched so far. I wish I was home to take pictures, they must be so adorable! [​IMG]

9. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Aww! How fun! We expect pictures!

10. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, I'm so jealous!!!! Congratulations!!!!!

Lori

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by