1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

LOOK WHAT I JUST FOUND - UPDATE

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ibpboo, Jun 13, 2008.

1. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I was going to the store and these little ones were in the road. When I cam back I looked and there they were, in the bush on the side of the road. Are they meat birds? How old? Cute!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  2. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    My bet is that they are meat birds, possibly couple weeks old.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Maybe they did the old, "CHICKEN RUN" thing & made it out? LOL

4. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    I would guess meat birds to or maybe leghorns?

5. Brandnew2chicks

Brandnew2chicks New Egg

Jun 13, 2008
    These look like my chickens and I was told that they were White Rocks. They are very laid back chickens and they do get big and really fast. I have looked them up on the internet and they are dual purpose chicks for laying and meat. I'm still new to the chicken farming myself so I've been doing a lot of investigating in the past couple of days.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

6. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Meat birds and I'm really bad at guessing age but maybe around 6-8 weeks, theyre almost fully feathered. Also, I'm so glad you found the poor babys! [​IMG]

7. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    If they are meat birds, they are not nearly that old. Most cornish cross meat birds are ready for slaughter (5-8 lbs) by that age.

8. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I bet they were dumped, poor guys...

They could be cornishX, white leghorns, or white rocks.. it's difficult to tell. I'd say they were approximately 4 or 5 weeks of age. If they're cornishX, they're probably more like 2 or 3 weeks old.

9. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Don't you just love Easter? [​IMG]

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They have fluffy heads "hip" skin showing under feathers and judging by mass, my guess is they are 4 week old cornish x meat birds. They will be about 2.4 lbs maybe 3 at this point. They will be ready for the table in about 4 more weeks, or 6 if you let them run around and they don't get to sit in front of food all day. They are WAY too big to be leghorns.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by