Look what the stork dropped off!

sorbs

Hatching
Nov 24, 2015
Hello newbie here!

Both to the site and to chicken raising.
I bought a house with a quarter acre. It was all grown over with grape vines, an apple tree, two orange trees, two fig trees, a peach tree a pear tree, a whole row of strawberry's and a back yard fence with blackberry's! The owners had to aggressive dogs back there so we didn't go out before buying the house.(The house was awesome and I figured, "Screw it, I pull it all out if its terrible back there".)
Normally that would all sound great, but I DID NOT WANT FRUIT TREES. So the joke is on me.

I live in Sacramento CA. so there's a very bad drought here, so I let the strawberrys die. RIP Strawberrys.
Now to the point, When i first went back there guess what i found...you'll never guess....that's right TWO coops in great shape.
They're not pretty, I could care less, but they work well. They also left all the equipment i need, feeders, waterers and heat lamp.

BOOYAH BITCHES!!! I'm getting chickens!(shhh...don't tell my girlfriend but I wanted them anyway)

Just a week later, my friend says "hey anybody want these four chickens". duh "yeah, i'll take them".

Over they come and she say’s I gave you a rooster in there also. If you don’t want him I’ll take him back.
And so it came to pass that Henrietta, Gertrude, Daisy, Agnes and Shup up you stupid chicken came to live with me. (Shut up you stupid chicken has since found another home)

I found out that they are Belgian d'Uccle’s and while not great layers, they are very friendly, don’t mind being held and are pretty. MORE importantly, the misses likes them and so my fiendish plan is working perfectly.
Anyway, I’m going to get a 4 more and I pretty sure I’m going with a bard or Plymouth rock, Golden Comet, Red star, Black Australorp, or Leghorn.

I know two will be the Plymouth or Bard Rock, but the last two are up in the air. Since the d uccles won’t produce a lot of eggs I want a very good layer, not aggressive, of large eggs. I don’t care about color of eggs.
Any suggestions?

If you're in the area of Sacramento ca. say hi.

Mark

Hello! Welcome to the site. I am sure you will get plenty of good advice here. I have Barr rock and really enjoy them. They are great layers, and a really good temperament.
You will probably find the best advice asking in the general breed forum.

Welcome!
I like Easter Eggers too. I know you said you don't care of colored eggs (I didn't either), but they have great temperament and really good layers of extra large eggs.

I'd stay away from Leghorns, although they're great layers. Google search on their temperament, but they tend to be nervous, flighty and don't have good reputation for being docile.

I love my PBR, definitely get Australorps, consider Buff Orpington.
Golden Comet/Red Star are egg laying machines, but they also peak out quicker and stop laying faster than others. It all depends on what you want.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Just so you're aware, Golden Comet and Red Star are essentially the same bird. Golden Comet and Red Star are two of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster (usually an RIR) with a silver gene hen (RIW, SLW, Delaware, Lt. Sussex, or silver factor WPR). Not only can the offspring be sexed by color from hatching (male chicks are whitish, female chicks are reddish/goldish) but they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed (no matter what label they are marketed under). It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Yes, Golden Comet/Red Star/Golden Buff/Red Sex Link/Golden Sex Link all the same. I find them to be great layers for first two years, but notice they tend to be overly mean and nonstop bully to other members of flock. Because of this, I personally won't be getting the breed again.

This is a great link that could help you decide.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds?sort=rating

Of the top rated breeds, I wouldn't recommend a Silky for you because they tend to get picked on if not raised together, and you already have birds. They're very sweet birds though.

Hi Mark,
welcome-byc.gif

Before you add more chickens, you should read up on how to integrate new birds into your existing flock. It takes time to be sure you aren't introducing illnesses/parasites and more time for the birds to become acquainted. Here's a good article on how to introduce new chickens:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Good luck and hope you are enjoying your new flock!

Back
Top Bottom