Look what we just found!

ep.gif

That's the best deterrent, as once you've taken him out, you'll know for certain that he won't be back. I have practiced predator management for years, and I can attest to the fact that if you kill that coyote, four more WILL NOT come and take its place. I believe that loss of habitat is what causes many people to believe that eliminating one only brings others, but it's just not so. I live out in the country, and one night we may hear coyotes east of us. The next night they may be west of us. Then a night or two of not hearing them. Then they're on the south side. The point is, out here, there is enough habitat that they can do what they do naturally.....migrate/follow game. In a semi-rural/semi-urban setting, there is not much ground to hunt, so they congest wherever they can find food. If you kill that coyote, its mate might show up. Kill it too. Beyond that, if you start seeing more and more of them, it's due to a shift in their patterns or habitat. It's not Darwinism, I assure you.

This is something I'm curious about - is it OK to shoot predators on our own property? Surely, it must vary by state. But I would like to know. Might be worth investing in a gun...

We live in Upstate NY. We own 3 acres of property on a residential road. Our property is mostly wooded, and behind that is acres and acres and ACRES of woods. I hear coyotes yipping and howling most nights, but they don't sound super close.

Our chickens are babies yet, living in a brooder in the basement. But we do intend to free-range them outside when they are older.

I am concerned about predators, and am trying to learn what I can right now about protecting my chickens.

Quote:
I think there are two approaches - shoot and kill anything that attacks your flock, or find ways to protect your flock from predators. And a combination of the two. The problem I have with the first approach is that there will be losses - you find out about a predator after it gets a hen. I don't have chickens yet so I don't know how attached I will get, but I have three children under 10 and I suspect they would be heartbroken if something got one of their "pets". So I am going the second route. Coop will be hardware cloth, maybe combined with 1x2 wire. Free ranging will be with electronet. I have heard of people using dogs, donkeys, etc. for protection. The downside with the "protection" method is that it can get expensive quick. And there will always be chinks in the protection - a gap in the coop that you didn't notice. Hawks.

This is something I'm curious about - is it OK to shoot predators on our own property? Surely, it must vary by state. But I would like to know. Might be worth investing in a gun...

We live in Upstate NY. We own 3 acres of property on a residential road. Our property is mostly wooded, and behind that is acres and acres and ACRES of woods. I hear coyotes yipping and howling most nights, but they don't sound super close.

Our chickens are babies yet, living in a brooder in the basement. But we do intend to free-range them outside when they are older.

I am concerned about predators, and am trying to learn what I can right now about protecting my chickens.
It does depend on where you live. Different counties/cities can vary in their laws. Its best to check it out first. I have only had coyote problems when the birds were allowed to free range in the pasture. We did have a coyote visit during the day about 2 weeks ago. I saw it chasing the chickens and I chased it off. The next day I heard a chicken in trouble and got a shot off at the coyote (we have since borrowed a rifle as we only have a handgun for now). The coyote did not catch/injure anyone. It looked to be in good health so I think it was young since I don't know how it couldn't catch a chicken.
Your best bet for keeping your girls save from predators is a secure coop and a fenced and covered run. I have the coop but not a covered run. You can search around for your local extension service office and they should be able to let you know what predators you need to worry about. Don't forget about hawks and loose dogs. I lost my first bird to a hawk and then 3 to two neighbors dogs that got into the pasture. 6 to coyotes.

My new plan, other than having a gun handy:

But it will be a while until he's big enough to help. ;)

I'm so laughin right now!! Only cause this sounds like a "Granny Klampet" thing goin on, rocking on the porch with a shot gun! LOL!!!

You go get em'!! I'm so protective of mine also! We have a lot of cotes yowlin at dusk but never seen in 17 yrs we been here.
HOWEVER! We did have a fox come 'round in fall of 2011 (got my first 7 chicks ever that April).

Mind you, for the run we put chain link fence wrapped w/chicks wire for the chic yard,w/ corrugated panels at bottom (just in case). Being total sand here, also dug a trench & put in hard wire cloth 1 ft down, 6" out. Also vinyl clothes line approx 4" apart topped w/ deer netting for predators above.
Quite the labor of love 'cause sure not makin $ off this but I soooo love my chicks!!! (Was on my "Bucket list" for yrs)

D.gif
So that fall, had the adolescents in a chx tractor on wheels we built for semi free range,..... gettin dusk, they were squawking to come in but was trying to hurry & get the heat lamps up, was hammering with shed door closed & ok...was talkin to them to hold on..I'm a hurryin!
Well, apparently 1 escaped out the corner of the tractor & ran to the door (evidence of feathers 8 > (
I come out & seen the back end of that varmint a runnin towards our pine trees. THEN!! The audacity!!! Came back, in about 5 min lookin for more!
Well, I tell you I was so Angry I grabbed some rocks, size of my fist & threw em! He was about 30 feet from me. Can you believe he just jumped aside at ea.
throw but did not run? (Oh, I seen his smirk!) So next I ran grabbed a heat lamp in one hand, swingin the cord like a lasso in the other. (Yeah, I know, stupid move & probably funny now, but not back then.) Hope the neighbors didn't see any of that!!

Here's why I laughed so hard with your gun thing. Mind you I'm smaller in stature & grew up in cities. My hubby was tellin someone at work, so they borrowed him this HUGE OLD pellet gun. I tried to hold up against shoulder to see how this thing works. I sez to him "Are you kidding me? I can't even hardly lift the thing!
What am I suppose to do, sit out on the porch in a rocking chair ea. night at dust like Granny Clampet?" (& Maybe if I had a laser beam to aim it!)
Mr. City Boy himself just laughed.

All I can say to you is I'm sure Glad your not encountering Wolves!!!!! And Thank you for making my day!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I been surprised to read several posts here about New York's allowing farmers to shoot, trap or otherwise rid themselves of predators. They are even tolerant of shooting prowling dogs that kill/attack livestock. Good for for you New Yorkers!

Back
Top Bottom