Looking after Ducklings.......HELP!!

Daniel16

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a large pond with 4 call ducks, 2 runners and 2 chiloe wigeon. 2 of my call ducks who are nesting in the reeds and one runner duck who is nesting on a floating island with a wooden house. I am worried that the ducklings will drown and how should i look after them because the are not accessible. They will sort of be wild. Will they survive? The runner drake is very agressive to the 2 call ducks and i thin that he is trying to rape them but as he is two big they poor call ducks are fully submerged. He stops doing this after a while and it is only after they just come out to feed from their nests. What should i do? Will he kill the ducklings!

Thanks for your help!
smile.png

My Pond

Last edited:
Hi,

I have a large pond with 4 call ducks, 2 runners and 2 chiloe wigeon. 2 of my call ducks who are nesting in the reeds and one runner duck who is nesting on a floating island with a wooden house. I am worried that the ducklings will drown and how should i look after them because the are not accessible. They will sort of be wild. Will they survive? The runner drake is very agressive to the 2 call ducks and i thin that he is trying to rape them but as he is two big they poor call ducks are fully submerged. He stops doing this after a while and it is only after they just come out to feed from their nests. What should i do? Will he kill the ducklings!

Thanks for your help!
smile.png

My Pond
What a beautiful place. Drakes can be unpredictable and I always like to err on the side of caution and keep my mama and ducklings separated from the adult ducks including drakes till the ducklings are at least 3 weeks old, last week a member posted about their drake almost drowning one of their ducklings on their pond. I use temp fencing around a small coop so mama and babies are safely tucked away at night but are outside in plain view during the day where everyone can see them but no harm can come to them.

Lure them with treats, or you may need to herd them, which could involve chest waders or a kayak, and fifty feet of plastic poultry fence. Some folks have set up a temporary fenced area on the edge of the pond, with some treats, and then gotten behind the ducks on the pond and herded them into the fenced area, where they will be easier to get ahold of and into a crate for transport to their shelter.

Back
Top Bottom