Looking at breeding chickens

Not sure. Never heard of anyone doing it. Also not sure how submissive your girls will be right away to a random rooster. You could always try though I suppose.
I don’t think it’s a thing because the potential bio security issues and risk of introducing disease, etc. is enormous not to mention the potential for injury. My birds are horrible to “outsiders” so no way would some random rooster be able to get anywhere near them let alone mate with them.

Mine were horrible to poor Jack for forever and chased him relentlessly. He was an “outsider” introduced as a cockerel. Now, the ones that were raised by my broody they seemed to accept far better and they integrated into the flock seamlessly. But even then, I have some who still won’t submit 😂

So it definitely depends but no way are most gonna accept a random rooster especially in just a day or so and no way are most people gonna risk the bio security and liability of studding out their roosters to a million different flocks.

Last edited:
If you can't have a rooster, breeding chickens isn't really gonna happen. I'm sure there's someone out there who would stud a rooster the same way one could stud a horse or a dog, but that'd be dangerous.

Beyond just biosecurity you'd have to leave the rooster or your hens at each other's place for a while, I'm not sure a rooster would just breed strange ladies on demand, especially when they're strangers to his flock ("potential threats"), and you're exposing your birds (or that rooster) to germs on a farm they're not used to. I wanted to do rooster studding back a few years ago but the downsides just kept increasing... Instead we bought and hatched fertile eggs for a few years, had to have the fun like we had a rooster without the rooster OR the biosecurity dangers! :D

Especially since it sounds like you're looking to breed fancier birds (I don't think australia had the SOP like we do but y'know like show birds I guess?) Every breeders farm I've been to makes us clean our shoes beforehand, and most of them afterwards too. Especially since we have chickens but even the 4H families who didn't have birds had to wash their shoes, I can't imagine trying to ask to stud out one of their fancy roosters, or not have my ladies at my house for a few weeks... I'd be heart broken without them :'(

You *might* be able to get away with having a cockerel...? I think some boys might start breeding before crowing too much but I wouldn't bet too hard on it :') all of the boys we've had crowed before mating except one, cause he was a weirdo cockerel haha

Besides... going off another thread that I started and everyone so forcefully told me that my hen is boy even after I had vet confirmed that she is a she I’m thinking of re locating as I really don’t want to have to give her up if indeed she is a boy... so it brought the thought to my head if I did relocate to somewhere I could have Roos then what would I need to do and how do I become a breeder.

If you can't have a rooster I don't see this working out well. For a good breeding set up you need quality breeding stock of the breed you're wanting to produce. This means usually having 1-2 roosters. Most people with quality stock wouldn't stud their roosters out due to the risk of illness coming into their flock.

Besides... going off another thread that I started and everyone so forcefully told me that my hen is boy even after I had vet confirmed that she is a she I’m thinking of re locating as I really don’t want to have to give her up if indeed she is a boy... so it brought the thought to my head if I did relocate to somewhere I could have Roos then what would I need to do and how do I become a breeder.
Good idea! Then you can have roosters to breed. Speaking of which, do you have any good quality, updated pics of her/him?I really would love to see!

Back
Top Bottom