Looking back on life....

Disenchanted..............Couldn't hack it!

yuckyuck.gif

Last edited:
I wanted to be a vet, and after I finished college, and started looking at vet school, I rethought it. I didn't think I could get in, had massive debt already, and really didn't like the idea of 4 more years of school at the time. I thought I would work for a while and then go to graduate school, but my first job sort of cured me of that. There are way to many personalities in the hard sciences, and fighting for grant money is a blood sport. More than one of the PhDs in the facility where I worked fit the description of "piled higher and deeper."

So I ended up working in basic research, environmental chemistry and drug manufacture as a lab grunt. I mostly worked in environmental chemistry, which I wouldn't want to go back to. Too many nasty chemicals, with too many unknown contamination levels.

I've been a SAHM for the last 12 years, and that's sticking fairly well. I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up, but am thinking about reentering the work force. You got any good suggestions for someone who has a 25 year old BA in biology?

mom'sfolly :

I've been a SAHM for the last 12 years, and that's sticking fairly well. I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up, but am thinking about reentering the work force. You got any good suggestions for someone who has a 25 year old BA in biology?

Not really. You got any for someone whose BA is in Religious Studies?​

Maybe a blog on religion, and how it is practiced, but that don't pay.

Now why did I think a liberal arts education was a good idea?
wink.png

Actually I'm very happy with my education but the changes in the biological sciences in the last 25 years have been astonishing. Basic research that I did right out of college is now completely normal cancer treatment. I think is circumstances could have let me keep that job, I would have ended up on a very different pathway.

I'd change a lot of things... starting with me.

I love my simple life, my great wife & wonderful amazing kids, I'm as happy as I can be, I've got a job I like and that I'm good at, but if I could do it all over..

I would spent less time at work and more time with my kids.

I would visit my family more while they were alive.

I would have partied less and prayed more.

I would have taken better care of myself if I had known I was going to live this darn long!

mom'sfolly :

Now why did I think a liberal arts education was a good idea?
wink.png

Same here. But I don't mind. I went to school to learn, not get a job.
big_smile.png

And I wouldn't change anything about my life. My life allows me to be who I am today. I like who I am today.

For the most part.....​

I was married at age 19 so I had little time or desire at that age to develope a career. But I'm still married to the same guy, 33 years later so it wasn't a bad decision. I would have liked to have been an archeologist though.

One thing I should have done was jot down the stories and anecdotes from my grandparents and parents. There are so many stories that will be lost as time erases them from my memory. So many are already vague.

I too would have taken better care of myself. When you're young, you don't take things seriously and now I'm trying to backpeddle.

i would have been a dog ........ wait a minute my wife says i was a dog .. oh well so much for my dream.

Back
Top Bottom