Looking for a bantam... suggestions?

Calendula

Songster
7 Years
Aug 15, 2014
I have a little brother that will be old enough to enter fair in just two short years. As the crazy chicken woman I am, I've been looking for bantam breeds to raise for him and, well, myself.
There's so many options, I don't know what to choose.
So if I could get suggestions, that would be great. Some things I want in a breed:
-- Friendliness! Easy to handle. Not super aggressive.
-- A true bantam breed. I'd prefer to have something that isn't a just a small version of something bigger.
-- Cold-hardy! More or less. I live in Michigan, so we have pretty harsh winters.
-- Various colors. There is nothing I love more than multiple colorations in something I breed (it's been a deciding factor for many of the breeds I've chosen over the years).
-- Rarity. Not super important, but I wouldn't mind helping a more endangered breed.

Bonus points if you're a breeder, or know where I could get some hatching eggs or chicks. Thank you!

I suggest silkies here is my 6 year old with ours. They are gentle enough that even my 4 year old can pick them up and has never been pecked.
20190809_132356.jpg
20190809_141653.jpg

-- Friendliness! Easy to handle. Not super aggressive.
-- A true bantam breed. I'd prefer to have something that isn't a just a small version of something bigger.
-- Cold-hardy! More or less. I live in Michigan, so we have pretty harsh winters.
-- Various colors. There is nothing I love more than multiple colorations in something I breed (it's been a deciding factor for many of the breeds I've chosen over the years).
-- Rarity. Not super important, but I wouldn't mind helping a more endangered breed.

So out of the bantam breeds I've worked with I'd recommend Black Australorps for friendliness, cold hardiness, and fairly hard to find. Mine were a true pleasure. They aren't a true bantam as Large Fowl varieties exist.

Bantam Black Australorp.jpg

I also kept Bantam Black Sumatras and they are wonderful little birds.

Bantam Black Sumatras.jpg

Bantam Salmon Faverolles were also an absolute delight!

Bantam Salmon Faverolles.jpg

Lately I've been entertaining the notion of Bantam Orpingtons as well.

Belgian d'Uccles, a true bantam breed, in several colors, generally sweet and very pretty.
They do have feathered feet, and cute muffs.
Mine have been good layers of small eggs, and broody, so they can raise their own chicks.
I think Silkies are not that cold hardy, or hardy in general, compared to others.
Are you near Lansing?
Mary

Back
Top Bottom