Looking for a definitive answer, 1/2" x 1/2" welded wire mesh vs. 1/2" x 1" welded wire mesh

Is 16 gauge 1/2" x 1" Wire Mesh fencing secure for a coop/run

• Yes

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • I just like taking polls

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
Look at the pic below, that is 1/2X1/2" hardware cloth. You can easily see through the wire, no problem. If you are building an enclosed run of any size, Take a look at Premier's electrified poultry net. You can enclose a far bigger area for less than you could with an expensive hardware cloth fence. Just make a nice and secure coop inside the perimeter of the electric fence.
Jack

900x900px-LL-f52d3bc5_55557_img_1349.jpeg

I've seen dozens of coops (they do a coop tour in my town every year) and I know that the 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth doesn't 'block' your view, I just found that some of the coops with larger holed fencing were less obtrusive looking, and I was trying to find a compromise.

I have a small yard, about a third of an acre, and the back yard is fenced in. As the birds get older I will experiment with letting them roam the yard while I am outside. (Also trying to train my dogs to protect them instead of eat them!)

What a bummer. I really wanted to be able to go with 1" x 1/2". I guess I will start pricing out 1/2" x 1/2" (Louis Page that I checked earlier seemed too high)

Thank you everyone for participating.
What was their price? I bet shipping was a killer. TCS can order me 100' of 19ga 1/2" x 1/2" x 48" for about $135 + $50 shipping

They were much much higher than that.

Welded Wire Mesh, VC, 16 gauge, 1/2"x1" mesh, 48"x100' - Black: $586.77

It was not clear wether or not that price included shipping, but I would hope it does. It is worth mentioning that their product was a thicker gauge, and PVC Vinyl coated, but either way it is out of the budget for me.

check wayfair.com also, I got mine there last spring,,the price seems to fluctuate tho..When I ordered mine, I got 4 ft x 50ft / 3 rolls and paid 185.00 Free Shipping.. A few months later I saw the price sky rocket, but then a couple months ago, it dropped again, so it pays to check..I had also got a 10% discount code when I ordered.

I was just poking around there trying to find coated wire, I found green, but not black (which is what I am hoping to find).

Thanks a lot LoveOfChicken, those are both cheaper options than what I found.

In fact the first link (Academy Fence) also has 50' and 25' rolls available, which is perfect for me as I need about 65' in total. Ordering those two rolls + shipping works out to be about $200

Hooray!

Lots of good info, thanks everyone for sharing here, and to mkeys for starting the thread.

One concern I'd have about the coated stuff is that it might eventually start to shed that coating . . . and is it really going to prolong the life of the material, long enough to warrant the extra cost at the outset?

If the coating starts to crack, or gets scratched thru in any way, it could actually hold moisture against the metal causing it to rust faster than if it was uncoated and able to dry. Hard to tell unless you can touch it and pick at it a bit to see how tightly the coating is fused to the metal-even then no way to tell how it holds up to UV and weather over time. I know, pickypickypicky, but I've seen other coated fencing that this has happened to.

Back
Top Bottom