Looking for a good Dewormer for Chickens

tryingmyhardest

Hatching
Sep 24, 2021
I have been recommended this Safe-guard (Fenbendazole) Dewormer Liquid by some employees at Tractor Supply, I am just a little nervous because it specifies for goats. Is there a better one I should use? Is it safe for use on chickens? Is there a specified dose? I just want to double-check.

Welcome to BYC!
That's a fine wormer to use. It is recommended, however, not to use that if the birds are actively growing feathers.
The dose is 0.23 mls per pound of body weight given orally directly to each bird once daily for 5 consecutive days.

Welcome to BYC!
That's a fine wormer to use. It is recommended, however, not to use that if the birds are actively growing feathers.
The dose is 0.23 mls per pound of body weight given orally directly to each bird once daily for 5 consecutive days.
Actually, do you have a specific way of giving it orally to the chicken. Its my first time doing it and I haven't figured out a good way to do it. I have looked up different techniques but I don't know which one works best?

Actually, do you have a specific way of giving it orally to the chicken. Its my first time doing it and I haven't figured out a good way to do it. I have looked up different techniques but I don't know which one works best?
I also tried the poultry dewormer 5x (fenbendazole) capsules. I added a small amount of water to make a paste and put it on a small piece of bread. I've not tried the direct method. I saw a really helpful video where a woman gave just a few drops of dewormer at a time and let her chickens swallow before she gave them more. It seemed must less intimidating than the method of putting a small syringe way down their throats to avoid their airway.

I also tried the poultry dewormer 5x (fenbendazole) capsules. I added a small amount of water to make a paste and put it on a small piece of bread. I've not tried the direct method. I saw a really helpful video where a woman gave just a few drops of dewormer at a time and let her chickens swallow before she gave them more. It seemed must less intimidating than the method of putting a small syringe way down their throats to avoid their airway.
Here you go. See post #26 in this link on how to worm a chicken orally with a liquid wormer using a syringe without a needle:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-and-lethargic.1476187/page-3#post-24597218

Back
Top Bottom