looking for a good laying flock

Barred Rocks would be my #1 choice, followed by Buff Orpingtons, RIRs and Wyandottes (Silver or Gold Laced tend to lay better than the Blue Laced Red, I hear) I have all of those breeds, plus others, but for a limited flock those would be my choices. My original flock was 10 girls in those varieties.

Cochins are not quite as productive, in general, as the other breeds and they tend to go broody much more than the ones I listed. In fact, among the ones I listed, only Buff Orps really have much broody tendencies and with hatchery stock these days, some of that has been bred out of most of them. If you want a broody, then a Cochin or two would be good. If you like Cochins alot, by all means, include a couple in your list. You should enjoy the ones you get, not just aim for egg production, but if production is halfway important to you, then the ones I listed will do the job.

I agree with Speckled hen.One thing I would like to add is a white wyandotte and also a Delaware.I have a couple of both and they are really sweet lovable girls and they lay large eggs.If you don't mind them not being pure breeds then add a couple of black and red sexlinks to your flock.They lay lots of really large eggs and have a long laying season.

Are you wanting to limit yourself to ONE breed, or would a mixed flock be more to your liking. Do you want just brown/ just white or a mix. How important is egg production?

If going with just one I would agree with Rocks(more colorfull) or RIR

If mixing I would do the mixed flock I would drop the rocks and put in a 2 Cuckoo Marans(about the same color but should get a darker egg), 2 RIR, 2 EE's or Amerucanas or Arucanas(for a nice blue/green egg) not a gaurantee of color with EE, but the other two are harder to come by. 2 Leghorns for consistant laying of white eggs. and 2. Australopes

Or you could do 1 of 10 breeds. How could I forget Brahmas, Orphingtons(pick a color), Buckeyes, Delawares, Welsomers etc.......

Back
Top Bottom