Looking for a handyman, carpenter type

Bouvsgrl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 5, 2014
Hello everyone
I've been thinking about getting chickens for my backyard for several years now and think I'll take the plunge in 2014. I've been doing a lot of research and have a very good idea of what I want/need in terms of a coop and run thanks to so many of you and your knowledge sharing.

I have an existing shed that will be perfect retrofitted as a coop. However, it does need some work on it and I wonder if anyone here knows anyone in the Dallas, TX area that I could contact to give me an estimate for the work on the shed (coop) and a nice large run. I hope that I'm not breaking any rules posting this request. This is my first post on byc.

Thanks!
Laura

I would use either Angie's list or Craigslist.
There are always carpenters that need work on CL.
You could even pull one of the plans in the 'coops' section of the 'Learning Center' above, they often have specific materials lists and cut dimensions. Give that to the carpenter, show him your site and BAM.

Don't build it in a low spot or in an open spot. They need shade.

Last edited:
Be careful when using Craigslist....personally I would put the word out to all my friends and try to hire someone who comes personally recommended. Lots of men and women have handyman/carpentry skills. You should not have to hire a stranger-(remember, they are coming to your house). For a person with basic carpentry skills a chicken coop is a fairly easy project. I know that lots of firemen have businesses on the side, maybe you could ask some friends and start there. Craigslist can be a dangerous place. Good luck.

Be careful when using Craigslist....personally I would put the word out to all my friends and try to hire someone who comes personally recommended. Lots of men and women have handyman/carpentry skills. You should not have to hire a stranger-(remember, they are coming to your house). For a person with basic carpentry skills a chicken coop is a fairly easy project. I know that lots of firemen have businesses on the side, maybe you could ask some friends and start there. Craigslist can be a dangerous place. Good luck.
Ditto!

We will be building or coop for our Dirty Dozen this weekend. A $$ saving tip: I ordered my hardware wire from Amazon. I got 48"x50' 1/2 19g for $79/free shipping w/Prime. The local Home Depot wanted $53 for 36"x25'.

Good luck with yours!!

I love and use Angie's list very often. I would rather start there than Craigslist. Craigslist scares the crap outta me!

I bet if you just ask around your friends you may be surprised at who has some carpentry skills. Good luck!

Try a battery powered tool set and go for it! You don't have to be big and burly although it helps to have someone show you how to use them. I was scared to use a skill saw- now my husband hardly gets his hands on it. He had bought a power tool set that runs off of a battery pack so he wouldn't have to fuss with cords and outlets. Battery powered also seems...not lower power but just not as fast and scary? It will give you a great feeling of accomplishment if you just try it. Hey, you could even get your friends in on it like Huckleberry Finn:) Drills and screws hold better and are faster to get done than nails. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom