Looking for a hatchery with quality chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by bstarr20, Jan 25, 2012.

1. bstarr20

bstarr20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Louisiana
    My daughter is interested in starting a Barnvelder flock for 4-h ffa so need quality birds. Found some at Sandhill Preservation - straight run only, Blue Hen Hatchery - eggs only & MyPetChicken. Has anyone bought from any of these places? Or know the quality of birds they have?

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Generally, what you are going to get from hatcheries is hatchery quality. If that is what you want, then you will be happy.

If your daughter plans to show, I suggest that you purchase from a serious show breeder. Your daughter will be a lot happier with how she does at the shows. Breeder birds should be much closer to the SOP (Standard of Perfection), which is what the birds are judged by at the show.

Show birds aren't all that expensive compared to other hobbies. If you have a budget, I suggest better birds and just buy fewer of them to start.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I am getting some barnvelders from Meyer Hatchery in Polk, Ohio this spring. You can buy as few chicks as 3-4, but the shipping for just a few is much more than say, 25 chicks. They have to put heat packs, and extra bedding if yu only get a few. Much cheaper to get 25. There is a barnvelders thread on BYC where you can probably buy from breeders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by