1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for a permanent egg container... advice?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wbruder17, Jun 23, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I would like a container for my refridgerator to hold a dozen eggs. Like a dozen carton you get from thhe store but made out of something that will not get wet, rip, deteriiorate, etc. Plastic would be fine, but stainless steel or something would be better. I only need one. Anyone know where to find something like this? They used to get built i n to refridgerators in the old days, like in the door handle, but I haven't seen anything to the likes anywhere. Only the paper ones or flimsy plastic.

2. Shannon33

Shannon33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Eastern Shore, VA
  3. jwg423

jwg423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Minnesota
    I have seen plastic ones in the camping section at walmart, but I think it only holds 6

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Try a camping equipment store. Saw some hard plastic ones at the local dept store. I'm also seeing lots googling egg container etc.

Good luck searching

Imp

5. BCBunnies

BCBunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    I stack mine in a plastic ice cube bin it holds 3 dozen which is good because I like to do lots of cookies and cupcakes and give them to neighbors. Easy to clean streamlined and takes up alot less space than 3 eggs cartons or even 2 one and a half dozen egg cartons. Can't stack them really well but it holds enough that I don't need to stack them I usually keep my loaf of bread on top of it (yes I keep my bread in the fridge).

6. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I keep my bread in the fridge also! Thanks everyone... I will look a little harder at the feed stored and chheck out Amazon. They seem to have EVERYTHING, no?

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

You might want to look at antique stores as well. I see a lot of kitchen things especially at antique malls.

Imp

8. jwg423

jwg423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Minnesota
    Quote:Before I had children that at a loaf of bread a day I kept mine in the fridge, now I barely even see it before its gone...

9. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    I did a little searching for ya.

www.containerstore.com Egg Stay Fresh Container $7.99 each (Elongated bowl type egg tray - no lid)

www.amazon.com Lock & Lock Storage 12 Count Egg Container $11.98 (kinda like a Tupperware container for eggs with lid)

or do like I did and go to Walmart pay $3.00+ for a dozen organic eggs that came in a clear double, fold-over lid plastic carton. I just cleaned it and it stores my eggs just fine. I like the lids so that other things don't taint the eggs (sometimes strong smelling foods can "taint" other things..don't know about eggs but don't want to try either). I can also write on the inner lid (egg shaped cups) with a marker (that washes off) to date the eggs.

Hope this helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by