Looking for advice and fertilized eggs in IL

Discussion in 'Quail' started by GatsbysGirl, Jan 31, 2013.

1. GatsbysGirl

GatsbysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Central Illinois
    My hubby would like to start raising quail. I own an incubator and have no issues trying this. How much different is hatching out quail to chickens if at all? And does anyone have any fertilized eggs in the Central IL area?

Thanks!

2. animalsrock123

animalsrock123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2013
    Quail and chickens are pretty much the same to incubate. You might have better luck if you keep the humidity lower than you would on chicken egg, though. Good luck and hope you have a great hatch!

3. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    I can answer part of your questions. If you have an automatic egg turner from Little Giant or Farm Innovators, you will need to replace the regular egg trays as the quail egg is much smaller and would fall through. Here is a link to a website that has both brands of "quail rails" that I recommend (click here).
    I have been researching quail for the past 6 months, and every google search I've done had a link or 2 to this forum, so it leads me to beleive that asking a question here is the best way to start (btw, after many discussions about raising quail with the Mrs, she agreed, and she's more excited about raising quail than I am). I should be purchasing my quail eggs within the next few weeks.
    If you are looking for fertilized eggs (for some reason I deleted that above), you can do a google search for the type of quail eggs available in your area.
    Also, I can't close my response without saying that if you haven't already read this, you may want to check it out, as it will help you a lot in your decision on which type of quail you will get.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/102281/coturnix-quail-basics-information-and-pictures-galore

I hope this helps, and good luck!!!

4. GatsbysGirl

GatsbysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I actually found someone that is hatching out now and I can just buy chicks and save my incubator for my chicken eggs!

I will definitely keep these suggestions in mind for future reference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by