Looking for advice+broad spectrum antibiotics

Idakoyuu

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2021
Hi all, over the last few weeks, my 6 year old barred rock hen Bandi has been sort of down in the dumps. She's just been very lethargic, and at first I thought molting was possibly to blame but I just can't see that being the problem. I do not think she is laying anymore, but I'm not sure id call this a reproductive issue. She has a tough time getting around and seems to have a wound on her keel, so i'm wondering if she maybe has an infection. ( also treating her coop for mites+deworming her and her flock)

Her eyelids, beak, legs, and face seem to have a yellow tint, but I suspect its because I started mixing corn into their feed, so im not extra worried about that.
Her poops have seemed normal up till just recently, they've definitely been more green then usual. She's still eating and drinking fine, but she prefers to lay about in the yard rather then foraging with her flock.

anyone know of a good board spectrum antibiotic I could start my flock on just in case? Thanks!

Start your whole flock on Antibiotics just in case of what? They're already being wormed and exposed to a mite treatment.... It's just my opinion but I wouldn't run the whole gammit of treatments including antibiotics unless I knew what I was treating exactly. I can tell you that in 20years I've only treated one chicken one time for a specific reason: Respiratory infection. Tylan, VetRX, Baytril, If you do treat the whole flock, make sure you pay attention to any egg with drawl period necessary. I'm sorry your old lady isn't doing great. I have never had a chicken live past 7 so it might just be, you know, her time.... Natural antibiotics like garlic, ginger, other herbs might be a good idea as well as a little vitamin boost like Nutri drench. Good luck. 🦋

@Idakoyuu I might be able to help with antibiotics, but I don’t recommend using them unless it is for a specific problem. How old is she? Is she still molting or has she finished? I don’t recommend mixing corn into the feed. Chicken feed, either layer or flock raiser, has everything they need with all vitamins, minerals, and high enough protein. Crushed oyster shell should be available separately for layers.

Is her tail position up or down? How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, hard, doughy, or puffy. Does her crop feel empty by the next morning before she eats or drinks. Let us know what you find. Have you ever noticed any respiratory infection symptoms?

Can you look and feel around her lower belly between her legs for any enlargement, or water belly? At the same time, look for any lice or mites on her skin.

Try switching her only chicken feed, and occasionally give her a treat of scrambled egg bits or canned tuna. No scratch or corn. I would suspect she might have a reproductive disorder or a crop problem, but will wait for your response.

@Idakoyuu I might be able to help with antibiotics, but I don’t recommend using them unless it is for a specific problem. How old is she? Is she still molting or has she finished? I don’t recommend mixing corn into the feed. Chicken feed, either layer or flock raiser, has everything they need with all vitamins, minerals, and high enough protein. Crushed oyster shell should be available separately for layers.

Is her tail position up or down? How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, hard, doughy, or puffy. Does her crop feel empty by the next morning before she eats or drinks. Let us know what you find. Have you ever noticed any respiratory infection symptoms?

Can you look and feel around her lower belly between her legs for any enlargement, or water belly? At the same time, look for any lice or mites on her skin.

Try switching her only chicken feed, and occasionally give her a treat of scrambled egg bits or canned tuna. No scratch or corn. I would suspect she might have a reproductive disorder or a crop problem, but will wait for your response.
I mostly wanted the antibiotics as a back up to have on hand, in case she doesn't improve with deworming+mite treatment. She is 6, and seems to still be molting (Still has a decent few feathers missing.) I mix corn into their feed when it gets colder to keep weight on them, but I don't mix it into every batch of feed, just once every few weeks. They eat all flock mini pellets and always have oyster shell available.

Her tail is down when she's laying down, but once she's up and about its up as it should be. Her crop is fine, emptying and everything normally. No respiratory symptoms.

No enlargement, I've seen a few lice, and suspect mites so I am deep cleaning their coop+treating for external/internal parasites.

She and her flock get boiled eggs regularly, since I have no use for their eggs.
Can I ask why no corn/scratch?

here's some recent photos of her, as you can see her comb is also flopped over and slightly pale, which is concerning to me. She naps next to me everyday but recently has been sleeping longer then she usually does.

Attachments

• 310693991_1264026520998074_7753369002632681375_n.jpg
    310693991_1264026520998074_7753369002632681375_n.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 311022755_1209503002979182_7624729031224623427_n.jpg
    311022755_1209503002979182_7624729031224623427_n.jpg
    552.1 KB · Views: 3
The reason for no scratch or corn, is so she will get the most nutrition. Scratch and corn have only 7% protein, and not other nutrients. Chicken feed has 16% protein and is balanced. You can give a small handful of scratch on occasion, but most chickens think that is like candy, and prefer it. At 6 she may be at the end of her laying years, but she might still be in molt. If not, she might be laying internally. You can give amoxicillin if you think that she has a reproductive infection or internal laying. It is sold online as Aqua Mox, and dosage is 250 mg twice a day for 10 days. You can give it into her beak to swallow, or mix it in feed. Here is a link for it with a good price:
https://www.allivet.com/product/aqu...rJduOrrfDogJ5w_qEbOzIr0O4yYjFPPBoC12MQAvD_BwE

I understand wanting a back-up medication! I found an antibiotic that can also act as a dewormer but you need to do your own research on that.
https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=19239&id=4951414

I ordered Aqua ZOLE (Metronidazole for fish) from Jeffers Pet Supplies. I ordered the bottle of 60 250 mg pills. The dosage for an average sized hen is 1/4 of a pill. The bottle was about $30 US.

They also sell other AQUA MOX (Amoxicillin for fish).

The reason for no scratch or corn, is so she will get the most nutrition. Scratch and corn have only 7% protein, and not other nutrients. Chicken feed has 16% protein and is balanced. You can give a small handful of scratch on occasion, but most chickens think that is like candy, and prefer it. At 6 she may be at the end of her laying years, but she might still be in molt. If not, she might be laying internally. You can give amoxicillin if you think that she has a reproductive infection or internal laying. It is sold online as Aqua Mox, and dosage is 250 mg twice a day for 10 days. You can give it into her beak to swallow, or mix it in feed. Here is a link for it with a good price:
https://www.allivet.com/product/aqu...rJduOrrfDogJ5w_qEbOzIr0O4yYjFPPBoC12MQAvD_BwE
Hi, the amoxicillin came in 250mg capsules, and after I looked it up it said 125 mg twice a day for 3-5 days. What might be the best dosage, timeframe, and way to give her the drug itself? (do I empty out the contents or somehow give her the whole pill?)

The maximum dosage is 250 mg (or 50 mg per pound) twice a day for 7-10 days. Since BR’s are good size chickens, I would give that dosage. Give it orally whole into the beak, or open and mix with a small amount of food (egg, tuna, cat food, cream cheess.)

I understand wanting a back-up medication! I found an antibiotic that can also act as a dewormer but you need to do your own research on that.
https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=19239&id=4951414

I ordered Aqua ZOLE (Metronidazole for fish) from Jeffers Pet Supplies. I ordered the bottle of 60 250 mg pills. The dosage for an average sized hen is 1/4 of a pill. The bottle was about $30 US.

They also sell other AQUA MOX (Amoxicillin for fish).
Where did you research that this can be used to treat intestinal worms?

my 6 year old barred rock hen Bandi has been sort of down in the dumps. She's just been very lethargic, and at first I thought molting was possibly to blame but I just can't see that being the problem. I do not think she is laying anymore, but I'm not sure id call this a reproductive issue. She has a tough time getting around and seems to have a wound on her keel,

Her eyelids, beak, legs, and face seem to have a yellow tint, but I suspect its because I started mixing corn into their feed,
No enlargement, I've seen a few lice, and suspect mites so I am deep cleaning their coop+treating for external/internal parasites.
If you are seeing lice and suspect mite, then treat all your hens with a Permethrin based poultry dust or spray. Housing needs to be treated too.
Do this in 5-7 day intervals.

6 years of age, molting, possible mite (and lice) = these all contribute to a hen not feeling her best.
See that she's eating her normal feed, it takes balanced nutrition to get through molt. Cut out the corn, it's a filler and doesn't have a lot of protein that she needs.

Barred Rocks have yellow skin, feet, legs, etc. Sometimes it's dull, sometimes it a bit brighter. Hard to tell if the yellowing is more prominent now than before, you would have to judge that.

Back
Top Bottom