1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for advice on shipping older chicks.

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by mudhen, Apr 23, 2007.

1. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I have 7 or 8 almost 2 week old chicks that were included for warmth when I received my chicks earlier last week.
    I posted them here (in this section) to give away, hopefully to someone in the area, but only one person indicated interest. I have told them that if I don't find someone closer, I will be driving by their area ( 5 hours +) in late May and hand them over then. Obviously this is the least expensive way to go.
    But it was my hope to have the boys out of here before then, so I want to know if it is possible to ship (FEDEX, UPS, USPS) overnight...(when it absolutely, possitively, has to be there....)

Has anyone done this successfully? Is it possible to overnight ship older chicks and have them arrive safely? Opinions?

2. nikkimay

nikkimay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    Pacific NW
    shipping is very hard on live animals and i would strongly recommend against it.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I just received a 1 yr old Polish in the mail.....from Nevada to Indiana. Took 2 days. He got here in great health, and was even crowing when i got to the post office.[​IMG] Just ask your local post office...there are certain boxes you need.

4. arwmommy

arwmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    California
    My understanding is that ONLY the USPS will ship live animals.........

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Yes, the USPS will ship lives, although within certain limits. You can read all of the rules on their web site. Baby chicks must be shipped within 24 hours of hatch to arrive safely at their destination. At 2 weeks old, they are outside that range. Now they also allow for shipping started and adult fowl, however I'm not sure of where the cut offs are. In my opinion, started is between 6-8 weeks or fully feathered - 2 weeks is just too young for shipping. They require supplmental heat and constant feed/water. I don't think they would make it the 2 day trip, if it would last that long - not enough in reserves at that age.

Jody

6. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    That's what I thought. I won't do that to these little guys. Guess I'm stuck with the little fuzzbutts until late May! [​IMG]
    Thanks for your thoughts everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by