Looking for advice please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cavendish Chickens, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Songster

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    My husband just purchased two show line ameraucana chicks yesterday. One has a crooked toe. I was wondering if there is any way to straighten in without hurting the baby? It is 2 weeks old, eats and drinks fine, and runs with the other chicks we have. Here's a picture of the chick and its toe... I just want to know if there's a way to fix the toe. Thanks. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    Are their toe nails painted?! Cute [​IMG]

3. karimw

karimw Songster

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    I've heard of people taping them so they lay flat for a few days but that's usually with newly hatched chicks. I'm not sure about older ones.

4. tinychicky

tinychicky Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    you could try taping them, but if the chick looks like it's hurting it, i'd take the tape off [​IMG]

5. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Songster

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    Yes, the nails are painted. [​IMG] I did it so we could tell it apart from the other ameraucana chick. Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try the tape and see what happens. [​IMG] One question though... do I just tape the crooked toe, or do I tape it to the toe beside it to help train it to go straight?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  6. karimw

karimw Songster

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: