Looking for an automatic waterer. Any suggestions?

TajMahalChickens

Songster
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
I am looking for a way to avoid having to fill my waterer every day. I am looking into an automatic waterer. Any Ideas?

http://www.ehow.com/how_5804200_make-automatic-chicken-waterer.html
Here is something that I thought might work. I would constantly have to keep the water hose on, right?
however, I was hoping that I could make something that catches rainwater then supplies it to the automatic waterer through a tube. If I had a elevated rain barrel, then attached a tube form the bottom of the barrel to the valve at the top of the waterer, would that work instead of the garden hose attached to a spicket?

Last edited:
I wouldnt use rain water also refered to as gray water used mostly for watering gardens.I'm trying to think of a good way to water also but chickens need fresh clean water the rule is if you wouldnt drink it then dont let your flock drink it either.Just my opinion,good luck

i have to agree with the guy above, also to get enough water for the pressure it would take to keep your bucket full, you would probably have to go with a 55 gal drum, which means you would need a structure capable of holding over 400 or so pounds, also unless youve got a BUTTLOAD of chickens, the water would go stale before they were able to drink it all.

5 gallon bucket with lid. Cut 3" round holes a few inches about the bottom. install a water trough float valve in the bucket, hook hose to faucet.

Total cost for the whole rig $11.50

I'm looking for something a bit smaller and will not be easy frozen come winter time. I did see water cups with a small tube that connects to a 5 gallon bucket. I'm not sure what pressure the cups can handle if I convert it over to my well system that peaks at 60 psi and full pressure.

I just want something easy to install , small in size to fit inside of the coop and something I don't need to refill every darn morning before work.

We got some of those avian poop free watering thingy's that they use like a rabbit waterer. My Husband Andy drilled a hole in the Cat Litter Plastic Bin - but you could also get a icing bucket from the Bakery store for free sometimes. We used a plastic threaded piece from Home depot and used that for the hose that takes the water from the 5 Gal plastic bin to the coop. I will have to post a picture. I fill it with ice and water and the ice melts and keeps the birds watered - I have lots of water stations because it is hot here in Florida some with the red screw on bottoms and some pitchers with the waterer drippy nib. They use them all. I clean them once a week - I also add ACV in some of them and the chickens all have different favorite watering spots. ACV helps with Algea.
Caroline

Back
Top Bottom