Looking for any and all help. Not sure where to post.

lisaburris1968

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2015
Hi all. Still new here, so I'll try to give you the short version of my trials so far. Babies are almost 4 weeks old. I have to live stock water tanks. 14 in one, and 13 in the other. Temp has been kept correct throughout and now maintaining a 70-75 at all times. Started them on non medicated food. 3 days old, pasty butt on four of them. Maybe 5. Bedding is wood shavings. Pens, waterers, and feeders cleaned twice daily. Pasty butt under control in about a week and a half, during which time I switched to a med feed.Then started noticing runny poops. No blood, just not firm like most others. After about the start of week two, maybe sooner, I notice one of them has scissor beak. But eats and drinks like a true champ. Until this last week, in which I notice some of the birds seem to be breathing a bit harder while roosting, than the others. I am now going to start a third pen, in worry that overcrowding is seeming to be apparent. They have started challenging each other (some, not all), and I figure this is somewhat natural.....or is it? They ALL likes plucking the baby fuzz off each other, but not to the point of injury..(although some liked voicing their opinion with vigor). So now I was told ny the hatchery to med their water with sulfur for 7 days. Its been 24 hours and still seeing some of the runny poops. And the labored breathing in some. And quite a bit of what I may think is non-happy chirping from that second pen mostly but not exclusive. Got a combination of sounds going on, but Im not fluent in chicken yet to fully decipher whats being conveyed at all times. The outside pen is almost complete, and looking awesome....but I wont put them out until I know everyone is up to par. If anyone has seen my prior posts, you can see I have SilverLace, Welsummers, Black Giants, Buff Bantams, and New Hamps. Just trying to give you any and all info, so I can get best suggestions.Im already nervous as heck to introduce them to the outside world, and dont thinknows the time for sure. I had planned to introduce them in a grassy area starting at an hour, then after a few days of that, increasing their contained outside frolicking.I SO want them to be in the sun, fresh air, and 70's temps. BUT WHATS WRONG WITH THEM? Im sad for them. I dont wanna over med, over clean, over stress them. Whats my best course of action next. If you have any additional q's....PLZ feel free to ask. Ive already wrote have a novel here, and this is the short version ....Well, I tried anyway. LOL. I dont know what to do. Look forward to hearing from those who understand and can help. Thanks so much in advance. Lisa

IMO, they're ready to go out. Runny feces can be from many things, the respiratory issue would be the biggest concern. They shouldn't be getting medicated feed and a medication for coccidiosis at the same time.
Concerns about Coccidiosis can be eliminated with bone dry bedding and full feeders.
Big ventilation cures a multitude of sins. The quicker they have more air the better.
fresh

Pecking order is normal.

Last edited:
I will go ahead then, and place most of the bigger babies outside in their new enclosure which will be kept at a 70 degrees, and down to maybe 60-65 at night but with a heat lamp in place for their option. I would like to offer them probiotics, but wonder if the med feed will counter that. Never at anytime have I seen blood in the poop. My main concern was the runny poo and the heavy breathing. Its not like they are panting, but when I see some with what looks like normal breathing, and the select few that are breathing faster, is when it became a concern. I fully agree that sunshine and fresh air should do them good. Just didnt know if that was a good choice where if they were getting sick, would I be putting them in added danger. I appriciate your advice. Will keep checking posts and will give updated quite often. Thanks, Lisa

Sorry, I meant to mention probiotics when I saw the pasty butt info.
The medicated feed contains a thiamine blocker preventing uptake in coccidia so shouldn't affect probiotics. There is no real medicine/antibiotic in medicated feed. It's only there for one protozoa.
Things that boost thiamine, like fermented feed can negatively affect the effectiveness of the medicated feed.

Any probiotic will help but I give my chicks this with their first water and I haven't had pasted vent since.

http://www.gro2max.com/

ETA
I'd move them all out together. There are enough to keep each other warm and now that the pecking order is working out, you don't want any to be MIA for long.

Last edited:
People worry about a constant temperature, but really chicks need a warmer spot and a cooler spot, and the choice as to where they want to be. This fall my broody hen raised chicks at -10 to -20 degrees. They would go out, run about, eat and drink, and then crawl under her for a warm up.

They ones in the picture looked good to me. They may be panting because they are too hot?

Are they moving around or are they all hunched up? Cause really, if they are eating, drinking and moving, quit worrying about them, they are fine. Chickens have all different kinds of poop, no blood, no worms, no worry is my motto.

Now sometimes you will have a chick fail to thrive. However, that usually happens within the first 7 days, and yours are well beyond that.

I agree with getting them outside and more space, almost all problems in chickens are caused by too crowded conditions. Personally I would get them outside in the pen ASAP and LEAVE them there. If you want, tip your container on the side, and set that in the coop area. They may go back to it at night, but they might just roost up too.

Mrs K

TY Mrs. K. I appriciate your insite and to all who have responded. The vote stands. The babies country club condo is ready. Dont know that I am....lol, but over worrying I know can cause more problems for them and thats the last thing I want. I have the inside of there outside enclosure boarded off so that they remain inside for the next two weeeks, but they have PLENTY of venalation, with required warmth if they so choose, a big beautiful window they can see the world out of, and a ton of room to be mischievous little chicken kids.Everything is child chicken proof, nice fresh clean shavings, a big new hanging water container, and plenty of feeders. The roost has gradual perches which they already have been utilizing for the last week and a half, and mostly.....they've got me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will keep a very close eye on them, without overkill. I do and will still worry about the poor little scissor beak who probably will not survive. But I say with tears...ive never seen any animal try so hard to be like the others. But I dont have the heart to cull. Scissor has good days and bad. I will not watch any animal suffer. I just watch with my baby bird flag and cheer...best I can. Thank You all so very much for your kindness and support. I can breathe easier knowing you all are just a second away. I'll post pic's of the new home adventure. Everyone have a great week and keep in touch. From Missouri, Lisa and the babies.
yippiechickie.gif

In mild weather (when it is above freezing) I put chicks outside when they come out of the hatcher and within 3 or 4 weeks I open the door and they usually start venturing outside shortly thereafter.

Good morning all. I had been posting in three different categories as I was desperate. But Im trying to do an update. I hope all areas can read. By popular advise to move the birds out didnt happen. My pen floor was still damp. It is much drier this morning and ready for the shavings. Now they are talking 30 degrees friday. I have two heat lamps and will make every effort to keep enclosure at at least 55-60, but right under the lamp, Id say huddled up they'll be ok. I do worry about little scissor beak. Been assisting feeding her/him. Yesterday I fed tiny amounts of grapes but this is one thing the bird could achieve. Manages to eat and drink, but I hand helped with the grape treat. This baby, is obviously smaller than the others, but has such a heart of gold, I have been to weak to cull, as some people would have. And I didn't notice it in my 27 babies until about the second week. How I could have missed it until then, I dont know. Does anyone in Missouri know of ant rescues or Sanctuaries? So this morning I am going to the new enclosure to rake, rake some more and re-rake the pen floor, put down the wood chips, put lights, water and feed in place and start moving babies.This is last day I'm doing the sulfa water and will wait one day, and do 2 days of the probiotic in the water. Doing half med feed still but switching over to regular ultimately.Everyone have a great day, and pictures to follow. Thank you all once again. Lisa

Back
Top Bottom