looking for Battery hens in USA? feeling discouraged

GoldenSparrow

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
I have searched every where as to where I can buy adopt ex battery hens in the USA (near MA)
I have Emailed every battery hen rescue place I can find.

These are just a FEW of the places I contacted
egg industrys (never retern calls or emails)
egg farms
United poultry concerns
Little hen rescue
British Hen Welfare Trust
Sanctuary farms
RSPCA
MSPCA
Compassion over killing
Mercy for Animals
Battery Hen down the Lane
Farm Animal Welfare Network
Clark Farm
Northeast Animal Shelter
Chicken run rescue
Cobble Hill farm Sanctary
MA humane Society
Brook Farm
Animal management group
Animal out reach
Happy trails farm animal Sanctuary
Animals Place

I am going crazy! It seems every one I contact always wishes they could help, and tells me to try one of the places I already contacted.

I am on a mission to help these birds, and give them a second chance!
I want to re-home Battery hens!
BUT the only places that have rescues are in UK
so I am going to have to be a Rescue here!!!

Please any Info will help.

Also Please remember this thread is NOT to be argued on about ANY animal rights or like organizations
I simple would like to know if anyone here has any Info on where to find X-batts

Last edited:
I know that Catskill Animal Sanctuary (in upstate NY) Probably rescue's Battery Hens. They rescue all kind of animals.

What are you looking to do exactly? Adopt some for yourself? Or are you looking to start a rescue? I am a bit confused.
hmm.png

well I would really like to start a rescue, but cant at the moment.
so my plan is to get a few battery hens at a time and have people adopt them.
I know alot of people that would like to give some hens a new start.
so yes, start a small rescue.
smile.png

and Thank you
I will get in touch with the CAtskill Animal Sanctuary.

love your page- i understand your frustration! it seems the UK is way ahead of us on it, have you found anymore about them here in the US?

Let the places on your list know that you will take in hens, in case someone else wants to get rid of some, or if some are taken away, you will take them. As a rescue. Make sure they know your numbers, and that they use word of mouth to help you.

Have you thought about rescuing some of the layers from one of the smaller egg producers? Some of them may not have suffered as much, but you'd still be giving them a better and longer life, instead of them being butchered.

There are a lot of small egg producers now, going for niche markets. Try one of the web sites for finding local food and look for eggs. Then ask the sellers about their older hens. Everyone in the egg business brings in new layers and has to do something with the old layers.

A large scale operation run by a corporation is not as likely to be interested in releasing a tiny fraction of it's flock. It would be a big hassle and a drop in the bucket. Plus, if they let a person that has contact with other chickens on the property it would be a big bio-security risk. A small family owned operation would be much more likely to want to work with you.

Woodland woman wrote

Have you thought about rescuing some of the layers from one of the smaller egg producers? Some of them may not have suffered as much, but you'd still be giving them a better and longer life, instead of them being butchered.

There are a lot of small egg producers now, going for niche markets. Try one of the web sites for finding local food and look for eggs. Then ask the sellers about their older hens. Everyone in the egg business brings in new layers and has to do something with the old layers.

Yes, I will try to find a small egg place close by.

Thank you all for posting about this I appreciate all you comments they are very helpful.
big_smile.png

I have two ex-battery hens and they are the diamonds in the rough of my flock. They will never be "pretty" as when I got them they were severely underweight and had roundworms and mites. They also have their beaks clipped too far back (clear to the nostrils). Their feathers have never grown back in quite right. BUT they are the two friendliest chickens I have always wanting treats and just enjoy life outside a cage. I think they have an appreciation of grass that my hand raised chickens don't understand.

I got mine at an auction for $5 a piece and they will have a home here for life. I think they are going on three now. They were close to 2 when we got them and I've had them for a year or so.

I have a friend on FB that runs a rescue, she just posted this, if you need info, pm me...

I have several newly rescued chickens, mostly roosters, that need forever homes. I run Kasia's Ark Bird Rescue and am a cruelty investigator for the Humane Society of Louisiana. All are very sweet and loving, but I can't keep them all and am trying to find homes for the ones that my ex husand has and since we split up he no longer wants them. I have several people contact me saying they want roosters for cockfighting, and there is NO WAY I will let ANY of my sweet babies go to anyone who wishes them harm. They are PETS, they are loved and spoiled, get baths and regular vet visits. I can arrange transport to just about anywhere in the US.​

Back
Top Bottom