Looking for best chicken breed that won't jump fenced

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by autumnoak, Mar 19, 2017.

1. autumnoak

autumnoak Just Hatched

Mar 19, 2017
    Candler, Florida
    I'm looking for a chicken breed that is more then likely willing to stay in the barn yard rather then jump the fencing and go into the woods where preditors can get to them. I like brahman alot, but I sell my eggs at market so I need a chicken with lots if egg production, yet sweet to handle, likes humans and is not flighty. I had red stars and had to wait a year till they matured enough to lay. It was a waste of time and I don't recommend that breed and I butchers the 22 I had.can't run a farm with chickens that don't produce. They had best feed, probiotics, vitamin and minerals, natural herbal wormer. I gave them everything to guarantee healthy chickens and they still did not give eggs. I waited a year. Should I just raise ducks???

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    :welcome

3. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Ducks shouldn't jump a fence and Khaki Campbells are excellent layers. That said, you might want to go with a heavier chicken which doesn't fly as well as a lighter one. But they won't lay as many eggs either.
    Chickens seem to love heading for the woods. They don't believe me when I tell them about the foxes living there.
    [​IMG] But two other things you can do is keep their wings clipped (Clip back the first four or five feathers on each wing just like you would a parrot. I know some people say clip one wing only. If you have predators you might not want to do this.
    Most birds go over a fence by flying to the top then dropping down on the other side. If you string a wire three to six inches above the top bar where they usually land, that should stop their going over.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, autumnoak, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! I think the larger bodied breeds just naturally have less of a tendency toward flight. I know my Leghorns, Anconas, and Hamburgs are ALWAYS out. Certain of mine never seem to fly out - Orps, Naked Necks, Marans, and sex-links. Any way you can cover the run to keep them in? You can also trim the flight feathers on one wing. Hope you find a suitable breed. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

5. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    You can also clip the wings of any chicken.

6. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! I agree with @redsoxs , heavier breeds are the best choice! My Leghorns can fly pretty high, and I don't want to clip their wings so I just let them free range. I enjoyed reading this about gentle breeds:
    http://www.hobbyfarms.com/6-gentle-chicken-breeds-for-families/

Hope it'll help you!

Also remember to check out the Learning Center: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

And if you want to chat with other chicken lovers near you just check this forum out:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

I hope you enjoy BYC, best wishes!

7. madelines hens

madelines hens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2017
    i would say a barred rock they are great layers and they are very social!:)

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under autumnoak [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry, having 5 x spoiled bantams who fly like bricks and are in no hurry to leave their garden, I am not able to help with your query. I would definitely recommend anything similar to my gals but as you want egg layers not freeloaders [​IMG] I will just wish you all the best.

I do not know how much fencing you have but I did see this cool device which stops cats from stopping at the top of the fence before dropping down the other side, it might work with chickens [​IMG]

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

9. autumnoak

autumnoak Just Hatched

Mar 19, 2017
    Candler, Florida
    I want to thank all of you for the warm welcome, and for great advice. I watched the you tube video and it gave me an idea go put hotwire about 6 inches over the fence top board. It will also help the goats to spot pulling the vines into the pens. I'm also looking at jersey giants and rhode island reds. I clipped the wings and they adapted those little buggers. I'm also getting bantams cause they lay well. Thank you all again and I'm ordering from Murray mcmurry hatchery on the first when they will have more hatching of the ones I want. I'm also in love with the naked necks and thought I may try those as well.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. If you find a way to keep them from jumping the fences please do let us know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by