Looking for best way to feed meal worms and tips to avoid food wastage.

clalso

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 9, 2014
Hello.

Need advice in a couple areas. First, when I feed my quail meal worms they let many drop through the hardware mesh. Any suggestions on how to avoid that? I suppose I could put then in their sandbox. Wondering if others have a better idea. Second, I use one of those red plastic Kerr Mason jar feeders. I notice they will knock it over and dump much of the food. Any suggestions on how to avoid that? I am thinking of placing it on a thin piece of plywood a few inches bigger than the base so that if they knock out the crumbles it will land on the plywood for later eating. Maybe that will help stabilize the feeder as well stopping it from dumping over. Any ideas much appreciated.

Thank you.

I would hang the feeders, so they can't move it/kick stuff out. You can maybe take a chain and hang it from the top of the coop.

I hand feed my chickens mealworms, or when they are free ranging I just scatter them around.

I followed some advice from Vail's and bought those tupperware containers that are about 12" long and 5" high. Then I cut three holes into each side about 3" up from the bottom. I fill it with food and they stick their heads in the holes to eat. They can't waste food this way.

Cuts way down on feed waste. It lowers the level of the feed available to the birds at one time. The birds have to stick their heads into the feeder to get food. When they whip their heads around the feed stays inside the feeder instead of spilling onto the ground.Very simple solution.

Chicken-Farmer

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom