Looking for Buff Orpingtons near Stafford/Fredericksburg, VA

I'm so glad you made it up there, and are happy with your chicks! My four are over a year old now, and laying so many eggs. They've been happy and healthy. Right now they're feasting on cicadas... do you have those down there? Good luck with your coop!
Thanks! I'd assumed we would get the cicadas, but just looked at a map, and we're barely outside the zone. Maybe you could ship some down? ;)

I lived through two other cycles in Maryland. It would have been nice to have a purpose for the little buggers! I'll never forget the time one crawled up inside my pants leg while I was on a motorcycle. Nothing I could do about it.

My next door neighbor (we're both recent urban refugees) just got six chicks. As luck would have it, he was able to get Buff Orpingtons and Ameraucanas at the local TSC. Luck of the draw. When I as there, the guy said he wasn't familiar with Buff Orpingtons. I wasn't willing to risk waiting, repeatedly driving out there, and maybe missing my window for this year - so I'm happy with my choice. Among other things, it was a fun experience.

I know this isn't the point of the thread, but I'm obsessed so just have to ask. What variety did you get?
Not being familiar with them, I'm not entirely sure (assuming they're true Ameraucanas). Photos attached.

I only recently realized that there are varieties of Ameraucanas, and the hatchery didn't describe them by variety.

Unfortunately, one of them appears to be a cockerel. I got 2 Ameraucanas and 4 others. 5/6 appear to be pullets. The suspected cockerel has a redder, larger comb, is more assertive, and is starting to make crowing attempts.

The one with the grey head is the suspected cockerel (as of last week).

If anyone in NoVa wants a rooster, let me know. I'll try to re-home him, but it's likely I'll have to cull him.

I had tried to mentally prepare myself for this necessity as part of having chickens, but I was hoping it wouldn't arise so soon :(

Ameraucana 1.jpg

Ameraucana 2.jpg

Not being familiar with them, I'm not entirely sure (assuming they're true Ameraucanas). Photos attached.

I only recently realized that there are varieties of Ameraucanas, and the hatchery didn't describe them by variety.

Unfortunately, one of them appears to be a cockerel. I got 2 Ameraucanas and 4 others. 5/6 appear to be pullets. The suspected cockerel has a redder, larger comb, is more assertive, and is starting to make crowing attempts.

The one with the grey head is the suspected cockerel (as of last week).

If anyone in NoVa wants a rooster, let me know. I'll try to re-home him, but it's likely I'll have to cull him.

I had tried to mentally prepare myself for this necessity as part of having chickens, but I was hoping it wouldn't arise so soon :(

View attachment 2715109

View attachment 2715111
So cute! The second one is gorgeous! Though they're actually EEs not Ameraucanas, you can tell by the green legs, and the nonstandard patterns. :D
Beautiful birds either way! I'm in love. :love

Back
Top Bottom