Looking for feed recommendations

BlossomSilkies

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 29, 2011
Niles, MI
I am out of feed, so today will be going to get some. I have a mixed flock (see signature below), oldest is over 1 year youngest are about 24 weeks.

What is your favorite everyday feed, and why?

We live in the desert, so extreme heat, if that matters.

My flock is for entertainment, eye candy and eggs. We don't eat the chickens.

So, something for good eggs, healthy appearance, energy, and contentment.

I use Purina Layena Crumbles, for 3 yrs.
I'm gonna switch to pellets because of so much powder and waste in the crumbles

Quote:
It's what I use and I haven't had any problems with it and it's $9.99 for 50lb bag at tractor supply!

I use that too
smile.png

I just found an organic feed that my chickens LOVE! It's by a small family company called "Scratch and Peck" out of Bellingham, WA. Organic is definitely more expensive, but I feel great about what they are eating, which will eventually get turned into eggs for us. (I'm new to chickens, and have a new backyard flock of 5, still in the growing phase...should start getting eggs in the Fall.)

I use Purina Layenna and Purina Flock Maintainer and Purina Scratch Grains. I have been using these for a year now and my chickens seem to thrive on it. Hope you find what you like.

I agree with everyone about the Purina lay pellets. It's $15.00 for a 50lb bag at our TSC.

Purina Flockraiser is also a good feed. It's 20% protein.
A 20%-protein nutrient-rich ration that provides top starting, growing and finishing nutrition for a mixed flock of chickens, ducks and geese from hatch until laying age (18-20 weeks) and for turkeys from 8-10 weeks until laying age of 18-20 weeks.​

Last edited:
country acres ( chick crumbles still... after this bag i am switching . 9 weeks old ) its made by purina. they like it and their poo don't smell as ad as it did on dumore from tsc. My scratch is purina. Always looking for better, but not much selection in this part of tn.

Back
Top Bottom