*Update* Looking for feedback from sellers and buyers of eggs.

SilkiesnFrizzle

Crowing
10 Years
Sep 23, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I'm looking for advice and feedback. I sold some Silkie/Showgirl eggs for $45 a dozen and shipping was included. The buyer got 14 or 15. 7 eggs hatched...5 were Silkies,another was a Silkie but had light skin and had only 4 toes on one foot (I have Satin Showgirls with light pigmentation) one egg did hatch out a Cochin. So 6 Silkie/Showgirl chicks and one Cochin. I appoligzed about the Cochin and said I would send some more eggs later when I got caught up. Now she is demanding a full refund. Having 6 hatch is pretty good for shipped eggs IMO. I don't give refunds and I did offer to replace the eggs. I'd like feedback from buyers and sellers. Personally, I would be happy 5 hatched if I was the buyer. But as the seller, I can't see justifying a refund when there were 6 chicks that hatched. What do you guys think. (And it wasn't a sale on here or anything) :)

I have purchased eggs, never sold them.

The only way a refund makes sense to me is if she got so many Cochin eggs, she didn’t receive the full complement of Silkie/Showgirl eggs. If she got two or three extras, congrats, one’s a Cochin. She still, we can safely assume, got the dozen Silkie/Showgirl eggs she wanted, got a hatch rate about what one would expect and happened to get a weird freebie out of it. Unless you suspect you shorted her the dozen she wanted, I say tough luck for her.

I have purchased eggs, never sold them.

The only way a refund makes sense to me is if she got so many Cochin eggs, she didn’t receive the full complement of Silkie/Showgirl eggs. If she got two or three extras, congrats, one’s a Cochin. She still, we can safely assume, got the dozen Silkie/Showgirl eggs she wanted, got a hatch rate about what one would expect and happened to get a weird freebie out of it. Unless you suspect you shorted her the dozen she wanted, I say tough luck for her.
Thank you. Sometimes I can be too nice to a fault. These days people like that will run your name thru the garbage on social media so I guess I am very warry of that. I haven't really dealt with a refund request let alone a refund when you still had a decent hatch for shipped eggs. I'm an over thinker lol.

I'm looking for advice and feedback. I sold some Silkie/Showgirl eggs for $45 a dozen and shipping was included. The buyer got 14 or 15. 7 eggs hatched...5 were Silkies,another was a Silkie but had light skin and had only 4 toes on one foot (I have Satin Showgirls with light pigmentation) one egg did hatch out a Cochin. So 6 Silkie/Showgirl chicks and one Cochin. I appoligzed about the Cochin and said I would send some more eggs later when I got caught up. Now she is demanding a full refund. Having 6 hatch is pretty good for shipped eggs IMO. I don't give refunds and I did offer to replace the eggs. I'd like feedback from buyers and sellers. Personally, I would be happy 5 hatched if I was the buyer. But as the seller, I can't see justifying a refund when there were 6 chicks that hatched. What do you guys think. (And it wasn't a sale on here or anything) :)
I have limited experience with shipped eggs (I’m in the middle my first hatch right now) but my research I seen 7 hatched is awesome. Getting 6 Silkies for $45 is great, try buying quality chicks for that price. I don’t think you owe her anything, you sent extra. The only time I would complain is if they arrived with huge air cells(meaning old) or very poorly packaged. One Cochin egg oops, your human. Any research on shipped eggs she will realize it is a total gamble, the way I see it she scored and is trying to get something for nothing.

Was your 'disclaimer' absolutely clear on your 'site' or where ever you sold your eggs? "Shipped eggs are always a gamble, hatching is out of your control, USPS can be rough on eggs etc. etc....No refunds for bad hatches, only for bad packing" If so then the customer needs to be kindly reminded of that and the fact that she got a cochin in with the extras, is a ..... bonus chicken, congratulations!!
You can, also very kindly, offer again to send her extra eggs, she pays shipping, when you have some.
If there was no clear disclaimer, then you are going to have to weigh the possibility of lousy reviews against losing the money. That I cannot help you with! Just make sure you have a clear disclaimer for the next time!

I've shipped lots if it were me I would offer 5 of the correct eggs on me if they don't accept that oh well no refund. If she leaves bad feedback somewhere anyone familiar with chickens is prolly familiar with hatching and would know what she got is good for shipped eggs. People are getting pretty demanding about refunds for the slightest thing tuff

Update....I again offered to send more eggs but not a refund. She then proceeded to tell me now that she doesn't think the chicks are Silkies (even though she said they were Silkies at hatch) She said they don't look like the pics of my birds in the add, and I told her of course they don't...they are only 4 weeks old. She also said they are all non bearded. I have one non bearded pullet in my flock. She isn't laying yet, so I know that's bs. Then she threatened to post everywhere that I am a scammer. Threatening me is definitely not going to get you squat. I told her I stand by my birds and eggs and go ahead and say I'm a scammer. I feel like she is the one scamming me.

I think you have done an admirable job of trying to make her happy! I have bought and sold eggs for years and the one constant with shipped eggs is NO GUARANTEE ON HATCH (unless the seller puts one in writing which rarely happens). I am seeing more and more negative feedback and posts wanting a refund after a poor or no hatch from eggs purchased, but that is not how it works AND she got a good hatch on your shipped eggs in my opinion! I would not hesitate to purchase eggs from you if you were closer to me. :thumbsup

I've done shipped eggs multiple times and I know the risk. I have never asked for a refund or additional eggs (though one time I did get a box that was so badly damaged by the post office that there were 4 destroyed eggs and I just sent a picture to the seller just to let them know they might want to package a little better, and that seller was nice enough to send me some replacement eggs.) Shipped eggs that are incubated are totally a gamble and in my opinion the majority of the issues come from inappropriate incubation versus "duds" sent from the sellers.

Back
Top Bottom