looking for hatchery that'l ship/sell 8 chicks

Thanks for the replies everyone. After much research and consideration, I found a feed store that will have baby chicks with the breeds we were looking for. Its 18 miles away, but its also in the town where I work so the drive is no big deal.

This is our best/cheapest option. Meyer's and Ideal were both willing to do our small order of 9 chicks, but special shipping costs would have added another $25-$30 to the order.

The feed store gets their chicks from Townline Hatchery here in Michigan, so i'm helping (just a little bit) to keep money into our state's dismal economy.
Only downside is we'll have to wait til April to get our girls.

We're getting:

3 Black Australorps
3 Barred Rocks
3 Rhode Island Reds

Last edited:
Sounds like a good solution.

I'm going through the same thing here in AZ (though I'm a native Michigander!)

Incidentally, we got 7-10 inches of snow last night!

Just be careful...Most feed stores only get straight runs. Odds are high that you will get cockerels...lots and lots of cockerels.

Thanks for posting this thread, good information.

Pester John---I live in Chino Valley AZ...pm me for info on a new local group for chickens

hey tractor supply is supposed to get chicks in this yr, they usually have sexed pullets of different breeds, try them, i've had good luck with the ones i got from there before i also have a local feed store that orders them in, i ordered some from ideal and then i'll hand select a bunch from these other places, good luck:D

hmm.png
I like this response, now !!!!! Who knows where I can get hens + roo ready to lay eggs??? My question is pretty early, I won't be ready until May sometime. Location will be in Western kansas. My thoughts are the livestock auction, sometimes folks sell outside the arena. Jump start is what I want before I start playing in retirement. ALL responses will be greatly appreciated, and thanx Paul

I'm having the same prob everywhere I contact will only ship 25 chicks or that is the min order. I only want 8 pullets and I don't know anyone else who wants chickens to split an order with. Only option I've been given is to drive to the hatchery an pick up chicks myself. 8hr drive. unless I can find someone in my area with chicks gonna post a classified.

Most of my local feed stores will take a special order. They just add it onto their order , and call you when the chicks come in. I think I've paid 50 cents to a dollar more per chick when I special order but it's waaaayy cheaper than ordering a small amount directly from the hatchery. Check with your feed store, they may not advertise it but most of them will do it.

Nancy

Back
Top Bottom