looking for help with a donkey question

pinkcoop

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 21, 2014
I know this is a chicken site... but I recently got this donkey and I have a few questions. I was hoping someone might be able to help me.
The previous owner said he got some kind of shot in both sides of his mane on the to of his neck, they said it was to help "calm him" . Since then he has developed these very large pockets of fat on his neck. The donkey also has one eye that constantly drains. I would appreciate any advice.

I don't know what shots the previous owner would have used; there are a number of drugs that are used to make a horse or donkey quieter so that some procedure can be done. They are all very temporary in their action. While anesthesia can have its place while treating a health problem, it is not a substitute for training.

The fat pads are a thing donkeys will develop when they are overfed. They appear on the top of the neck and on the back and rump. Once formed, they are nearly impossible to get rid of - I once saw a donkey whose neck had fallen over with the amount of fat on it, that also had lumps of fat like small bread loaves on her croup, that was also thin enough to have a little bit of ribs showing.
roll.png

It sounds like the donkey has a persistent infection in its eye. There may be a foreign body in there (like a grass seed or piece of wood shaving); could be anything, frankly. That's "call the vet" time, sorry to say, and the sooner the better.

Thank you for your help. At least now I dont have to worry.
My mother in law got this donkey a year ago, and we are donkey sitting right now for her. I have a feeling we could be keeping him :). I wouldnt mind because he is so sweet natured. My kiddos love him. But I would hate to take in a sick donkey. Im not sure I want to have my 3 young kiddos see that so soon.
Thanks again for the help!

I agree that calling the vet would be the best step to fix the eye issue. The vet would be able to give you a prognosis (treatable or non-treatable condition) and then you could decide from there if you would like to adopt him and take on the responsibility. I would also have the vet just take a look at the injection sites to rule out abscesses.

Back
Top Bottom