Looking For Help With Hen Problems Pls?

newchickens2009

Songster
12 Years
May 18, 2009
BAHAMAS
I have a hen that has been sitting on the floor of the coop alot for about week now. She got up and ran whenever I would try to check on her and at night she would be up on the roost and seem to be just fine. Well this morning when I went to check on her she was sitting again so I decieded to try and catch her. She jumped up and tried to run like she has been doing but this time could not because her left leg is not working. I picked her up and she just sat in my arms nice and calm. I felt and looked all over her and couldn't find any problems. Any idea what could be wrong with her or what I should do? I have alread moved her to a small coop by herself and put food and water next to her so she can eat and drink (which she started to do immeditly) since she can't get up and walk to it on her own.
Any advice is appreciated!
Tks
smile.png

How old is the hen, and is her leg still not moving? Where is the leg at - is it out to the side, crooked underneath her, etc? Has she laid an egg, how often and when was the last one. What is she eating etc etc etc

There's a possibility that she has somehow injured her leg by jumping down off a high roost or something else that's high up. Keeping her seperated and caged is best for her to recuperate from this type of injury. She needs plenty of rest and relaxation in order for the leg injury to heal. You can add vitamin B complex to her feed, it might help speed up her recovery. You can buy it at a pharmacy and crush a tablet into powder and sprinkle the powder on her food to eat. Do this for a week and see if there's an improvement. These type of injuries take time to heal, sometimes in 4-5 days, weeks, months or never. I had one that never healed but she was able to hobble around on one leg. I had to keep her seperated because the others picked on her relentlessly. She had her own pen and was quite happy, just hobbled around on one leg.

Quote:
She is 1 year old this month, it is tucked under her exactly like when she sits or roost and it looks fine with no sores or any signs of trouble and she hasn't laid for about 2-3 weeks?

Back
Top Bottom