Looking for Heritage breed hens in Austin, Texas

SKK

Hatching
Sep 5, 2021
Hello, I am in Austin and would like to locate some heritage breed female chicks. I have been to Callahans and they don't have many chicks to choose from. I am happy to travel a bit if that is necessary. Look forward to your reply. I am ready for them now.

Hi there! The Tractor Supply up in Cedar Park actually had a pretty good selection a few weeks ago- it impressed me. But I can't tell you what's left. Maybe you could call?
Ideal Poultry is pretty close (Cameron I think?) and will ship, but minimum order was a problem for me. Had a good experience using them in the past.
This time around I ordered from Cackle Hatchery which is out of state, but everything worked out great. Minimum order is only 3 chicks (they threw in a bonus 4th chick which I understand is common) and everyone arrived healthy. They were actually on top of it enough to halt my original shipment which went out just as the freeze-oclypse struck and all the flights were canceled (like, they went back and retrieved their chicks from the airport). While I had to wait another 6 weeks until all three of my breeds were available together again as day-old chicks, I was very relieved not to have frozen chickies on my conscience. I was also very concerned about shipping and was assured that they have it down to a science (heat packs and nutrient goo are involved), and it ended up going smoothly. Comparatively, it may even be more humane to order from a hatchery with a fast shipment than to go through the local feed store, based on some sources floating around. 🤷‍♀️
At least that's what I tell myself..

I have ordered from Ideal Poultry a few times and have never been dissatisfied. Most of the feed stores and Tractor Supply stores order from there as well. If you are looking for something older or more specific, I would suggest checking out some local Facebook groups...
Liberty Hill Backyard Chickens and Austin Backyard Poultry are two I've used.

Hello, I am in Austin and would like to locate some heritage breed female chicks. I have been to Callahans and they don't have many chicks to choose from. I am happy to travel a bit if that is necessary. Look forward to your reply. I am ready for them now.
Are you still looking? Are you wanting chicks only?

Last edited:
Callahans buys from Ideal and their inventory rotates regularly. If you watch their FB page they usually post with an inventory list of what’s coming it.

Firehouse feeds in Briggs usually has chicks.

Agreed that Austin Backyard Poultry is an active FB group and people are regularly selling there.

Back
Top Bottom