Looking for more details on processing chickens

I use stewing chicken from the supermarket to make soup. I think they are old egg layers, so they are tough as rubber if you try to roast them. However, the reason why they make great soup is because the meat will become edible and won't dry out like roasting chicken, no matter how long its heated.

I find that the key to preparing a retired layer is to keep the water temperature at a bare simmer and never let it actually boil.

I find that the key to preparing a retired layer is to keep the water temperature at a bare simmer and never let it actually boil.
Crock pot, low. Mmm. Onions, carrots, celery, salt and pepper for flavor, herbs if you want: parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, like the song. . When cooked, discard veggies. Use new ones if you want them in your recipe. :drool

Did you let it set in the fridge for 3-4 days after butchering brfore cooking? That's also key. Has it already been mentioned in this thread?
Its frozen, and the marking I put on says one year old hen. I put the boneless chicken pieces, papaya pulp, and seasoning in together and will let it sit for 3 hours before frying.

Back
Top Bottom