Looking for penedesencas and empordanesas

QuijoteK

In the Brooder
Oct 29, 2018
Tucson, AZ
Hi everyone! I am in Arizona and have been raising tufted/rumpless Araucanas for about 35-40 years. In the last few years I have added/tried a few different breeds, black copper Marans, cream legbars, but find I am in love with the Penes and would love to get some Empordanesas! I will always have my araucanas, but just must have the Catalonian breed too! Until recently I had acquired a gorgeous partridge cock and 7 partridge pullets that had just begun to lay. The hen that came with the cock I put into a side pen to hatch and raise some araucanas for me, a terrific mother. After 20 years of my main pen being as safe as can be, last week a bobcat got in and decimated my Penes. I am devastated. They were such wonderful, beautiful birds! I am having my pen rebuilt and re-enforced, but am searching for more birds/Chix/hatching eggs. Are there breeders of these birds out there and if so how can I get in touch with them. I am way better at caring for chickens, horses, dogs, etc than anything computer related so please be patient with me! Thank you so much for helping me find these birds! Kathie PS I don't know what a tag is...

Greetings and welcome to BYC from NE TX! So glad you joined us, though not for the reason you're here. So sorry about the bobcat losses. I'm not sure and haven't seen him in a while but I believe @ChickenCanoe (<--- that was a "tag". If he gets notifications, he'll get one that brings him right to this post for you) used to raise one or the other or both of those breeds for show, so high quality. I can't remember but maybe @ronott1 does as well... I hope you can find the breeder you seek!

Anyway, there's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me :old will never remember from this post & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

Greetings and welcome to BYC from NE TX! So glad you joined us, though not for the reason you're here. So sorry about the bobcat losses. I'm not sure and haven't seen him in a while but I believe @ChickenCanoe (<--- that was a "tag". If he gets notifications, he'll get one that brings him right to this post for you) used to raise one or the other or both of those breeds for show, so high quality. I can't remember but maybe @ronott1 does as well... I hope you can find the breeder you seek!

Anyway, there's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me :old will never remember from this post & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

Thanks for the welcoming words. (I still don't know what a tag is. ) I am also a vintage person, but have had the tufted/rumpless araucanas for likely 40 plus years and anyone who knows araucanas knows the breeding/hatching/raising difficulties of a breed with a lethal gene. I am so in hopes of finding the partridge Penes and would be over the moon to get some Empordanesas - birds, Chix or eggs of either. I wish I were going to Spain, but that's not in the picture. So I am just keeping my fingers crossed that someone in this group can help me out! Thanks for the referral to the 2 members above, but I don't know how to contact them and it appears that ChickenCanoe raises black Penes. Maybe that person knows of other pene people to get me in touch with...!?
Anyway, thanks, K

A tag is when you place a members name with the @ symbol immediately preceding it. When you do that, it's like the game... TAG, you're it! It notifies that person that they have been "called out" and where, so they can respond to the "tag"... I don't know if you've selected to be notified, but if you have, you'll receive an Email or notification in your alerts when I do this:

@QuijoteK <---again, this is a tag... I have just tagged you.

You may get 2 notices now... that a new post has been posted to the thread, as well as a notice that you have been mentioned in a thread (this one, by me, just now).

Hi everyone! I am in Arizona and have been raising tufted/rumpless Araucanas for about 35-40 years. In the last few years I have added/tried a few different breeds, black copper Marans, cream legbars, but find I am in love with the Penes and would love to get some Empordanesas! I will always have my araucanas, but just must have the Catalonian breed too! Until recently I had acquired a gorgeous partridge cock and 7 partridge pullets that had just begun to lay. The hen that came with the cock I put into a side pen to hatch and raise some araucanas for me, a terrific mother. After 20 years of my main pen being as safe as can be, last week a bobcat got in and decimated my Penes. I am devastated. They were such wonderful, beautiful birds! I am having my pen rebuilt and re-enforced, but am searching for more birds/Chix/hatching eggs. Are there breeders of these birds out there and if so how can I get in touch with them. I am way better at caring for chickens, horses, dogs, etc than anything computer related so please be patient with me! Thank you so much for helping me find these birds! Kathie PS I don't know what a tag is...
Hi Kathie and welcome.
Yes, I only raise black Penedesencas.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/black-penedesenca-hatching-eggs.1235753/

There are a few hatcheries that sell Partridge.
I've only known of two people with Empordanesas and I don't know if they still have them. White is the only variety ever imported into the US.

Thank you. I got my Penes from Privett Hatchery in New Mexico and they were very nice birds. Must order 25 Chix, SR only. I didn't want any other breeds so ended up with 18 cockerels to 7 pullets. 1chick died (a pullet of course) and no one wants 18 roosters. I already had a good pene rooster. They have all colors and nice healthy birds. But I am looking for every source to not get a limited blood line. Would you be willing to share info on the breeders of the Penes and Empordanesas that you know of? My pen that held the Penes is so empty after the bobcat killed them all it just makes me sad and frustrated. They were doing so well. After redoing the roofing and sides and putting in more security hardware cloth I will be ready for more birds. In the meantime I have an out building where I brood Chix and since this is AZ i don't worry about cold winter weather. I would so greatly appreciate any contact info on either type of bird and would buy birds, or Chix or hatching eggs... Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom