Looking for plans similar to....

I don't know enough about wood working to make my own plans, but I might try to sketch it out anyway. Lol

i think i can explain it to you, where do i start?

ask yourselves these questions:
how many chickens?
whats my budget?
what materials do i already have?
how cold is your winter, will it need electric for lights?

and as far as lack of skills, do you have a saw and screw gun you can use? can you read a tape measure? i can walk you through this, just need to know where to start.

its not as intimidating as it sounds.

Last edited:
i think i can explain it to you, where do i start?

ask yourselves these questions:
how many chickens?
whats my budget?
what materials do i already have?
how cold is your winter, will it need electric for lights?

and as far as lack of skills, do you have a saw and screw gun you can use? can you read a tape measure? i can walk you through this, just need to know where to start.

its not as intimidating as it sounds.

I'm looking to keep about 4 Silkie hens, but will have up to 10 until I can figure out who is what gender.
I would like to spend about $250 or so. Though, I don't mind spending a bit more to get it perfect. :)
We have no wood for materials. :( Everything will have to be bought. I do plan to paint it with some exterior paint, though, that we have left over from the house.
All things considered, our winters are pretty mild. It can get cold, though, but we don't usually get much for snow.

We have a crappy hand saw, and no screw gun, but we do have a drill. And yep, I can read a tape measure!

I can usually follow instructions pretty okay, but I don't know ANYTHING about woodworking, and as we know.. coops need to be nice, sturdy things, and I have no idea how to go about something like that!

Thank you for your help!

this will take a couple of days of back and forth, I will have to draw a couple pictures on paint for you. but if your confident, I can get you though it.

do you have any sawmills in your area? if so call and ask if they offer outs or culls (this is knotty lumber that they cannot use in cabinet construction or for trim/fooring ect.). I don't know what kinds of wood grow commonly in Idaho, but if they don't have outs I ask for poplar. do not get sawmill pine as its sap will run out. pretty much anything else is ok. also cedar is toxic to chickens so don't use it. see if the mill will sell you a partial bundle.

here in ohio building materials are high, it is cheaper (and stronger) to use the sawmill lumber than plywood.

your coop will not look exactly like what your picture, but close. a slanted roof is cheaper and easier to build, but I can walk you through the pitched roof if you would rather that. the price difference will be approx. $60 at Ohio's prices. and about 4-5 more hours to construct.

are you planning on metal roofing or shingles?
do you want wood siding running up and down like in the picture?

I love the planter on top of the run. Just gave me a great idea for my little 3x4' run extension!

this will take a couple of days of back and forth, I will have to draw a couple pictures on paint for you. but if your confident, I can get you though it.

do you have any sawmills in your area? if so call and ask if they offer outs or culls (this is knotty lumber that they cannot use in cabinet construction or for trim/fooring ect.). I don't know what kinds of wood grow commonly in Idaho, but if they don't have outs I ask for poplar. do not get sawmill pine as its sap will run out. pretty much anything else is ok. also cedar is toxic to chickens so don't use it. see if the mill will sell you a partial bundle.

here in ohio building materials are high, it is cheaper (and stronger) to use the sawmill lumber than plywood.

your coop will not look exactly like what your picture, but close. a slanted roof is cheaper and easier to build, but I can walk you through the pitched roof if you would rather that. the price difference will be approx. $60 at Ohio's prices. and about 4-5 more hours to construct.

are you planning on metal roofing or shingles?
do you want wood siding running up and down like in the picture?

I'm not sure if we have any sawmills, I will have to google and find out. :) Hopefully we do, because I would rather get some better quality materials. Though if I have to, plywood would work.

I would rather the pitched roof. I like the general style of this coop, with the run under, the little planter and what not. I don't like the window in the door, though. Something like that would be okay with a shutter or something to close it off in the winter, otherwise I think I would go out to some chicken popcicles. LOL.

I will probably do singles.

It doesn't need to run up and down like that, no, but I am planning to trim it out a bit, and then paint it white to match the house. :D

Back
Top Bottom