Looking for real Araucana pullets

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by beerguzzler, Jan 9, 2009.

1. beerguzzler

beerguzzler Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2008
    Houston TX
    Hi all, I really want some blue eggs to go along with my green eggs. Does anyone out there know where I can get Araucana pullets? I don't want the expense of a brooder, supplies, chick feed and such so I am looking for 5-6 month old pullets. Anybody know where I can get some? I am located in the Houston Texas area. I have no idea if shipping a bird of that age is a good/bad idea but if it is ok I don't mind getting one via mail.

2. ajcress

ajcress Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    Masontown, WV
    I have some that are about that age. I am not sure which hens are laying the blue & which are laying the green since they have stopped for winter. I am willing to trade them for a few black copper maran hens for my son but might sell them. I live in WV

3. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    When you say "real araucana", do you really mean it? Are you looking for the birds with no tails -- true, tufted and rumpless araucanas -- or are you actually looking for Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers?

True araucanas are hard to find, and not cheap. Ameraucanas/Easter Eggers -- which have tails, and have beards and muffs rather than ear tufts -- are much easier to find, much cheaper, and still lay a nice blue or green egg.

There's a lot of confusion around these terms, so make sure you really know what you're looking for!

4. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    Well Easter eggers can lay a blue. But you really won't know until they lay [​IMG] I have a EE that is one of my best layers. And the blue is so pretty. Then my other EE lays a huge jumbo olive green.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If you live in Houston, PM pasofinofarms (Melissa) she should getting some more beautiful blue eggs again soon from her Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas...

.... and as so as we get a bator, we are ordering from her again.

6. Devan

Devan New Egg

Jan 11, 2009
    Last spring, I purchase 2 Araucana pullets from a breeder in Arkansas. www.skyblueeggs.com
    The breeder shipped them via USPS ( I live in Houston also).

7. beerguzzler

beerguzzler Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2008
    Houston TX
    Amazondoc - Yep, I am looking for True Araucana's

Mahonri and Devan, Thanks for the info. I will try those avenues.

Ajcress, If you figure out which are laying blue and want to sell, please contact me.

8. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    For true araucanas, check the Araucana Club of America web site -- http://www.araucana.net . Go ask in the ACA forum, on that site.

9. tamsflock

tamsflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    Marans and More has some. Just got the blue eggs from them. Birds were very nice.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by