Looking for show quality chickens

Prisp

Hatching
May 21, 2020
Hi, I'm looking for chicks from show quality stock. I would prefer Ameraucanas or Rhode Island Reds, but I would be interested in any heritage breeds. I'm located in Central Indiana. Also interested in a pair of show quality chickens.

Hi, I'm looking for chicks from show quality stock. I would prefer Ameraucanas or Rhode Island Reds, but I would be interested in any heritage breeds. I'm located in Central Indiana. Also interested in a pair of show quality chickens.

I don't know how long you've been raising poultry, and you very well may know this, but show stock often does not produce your best breeding candidates. There isn't a guarantee of show quality offspring from show quality parents. If it's an egg or young bird no one can tell you honestly that it's show quality. They can say the parent's were. Many potentially show quality candidates developed unexpectedly prior to completing their growth, or at first moult an unforeseen issue becomes apparent. My recommendation would be to seek breeding quality stock from a show line that you particularly like.

What is your goal? Only showing chickens? Are you showing only at APA shows or any other avenues? Have you shown birds before?

asking bc your goals and long term objectives will determine what your actions should be.

we had exhibition quality Dark Brown Leghorns. Beautiful birds! Horrible layers, they were a Feb hatch and took 9 months for the first one to lay and the last one hadn’t laid by the time we sold them at nearly a year old. I talked to the breeder who said “yes, they aren’t the best for egg laying” and that’s because they were selected for show quality traits.

my kid shows chickens in 4-H, so we go for good quality and definite breed identity, but pretty sure only one of the birds kid has shown would be a good candidate for any APA show.

many breeds that are shown have breeders clubs. These clubs publish directories of their members. Google to see if there is a club for the breed you are interested in. Others buy from good hatcheries or breeders and start to select desiresble traits from the chicks and their offspring To get to show quality. Many say that only 10% of chicks they hatch are considered candidates for further growing out for possible show quality.

Does anyone happen to know Matt1616 contact number or who’s got some good Heritage RIR at the moment not looking to show just want some of the older bloodline

Back
Top Bottom