Looking for some polish color possibilities with these crosses

Pics

Dona Worry

Crowing
Jul 5, 2018
Vermont
I'm planning to hatch some eggs from this buff laced polish rooster crossed over the pictured hens-- a buff laced polish, a white crested blue polish, a (not pictured) red crested red polish, and the smokey gray and the black polish.
I'm just generally curious what my colors might look like? I'm assuming a buff, some black chicks, and..... ? Any chance of some blue? What would my red produce?

These will be chicks strictly for my own enjoyment. The rooster survived a serious injury and is an all around brave little bird, and since I lost some roosters in the same attack that injured this one, I am hoping for a young roo that has the same resilience as this boy.

Attachments

• 20220424_105052.jpg
    20220424_105052.jpg
    888.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 20220330_083532.jpg
    20220330_083532.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 59
I'm planning to hatch some eggs from this buff laced polish rooster crossed over the pictured hens-- a buff laced polish, a white crested blue polish, a (not pictured) red crested red polish, and the smokey gray and the black polish.
I'm just generally curious what my colors might look like? I'm assuming a buff, some black chicks, and..... ? Any chance of some blue? What would my red produce?
Short answer: lots of white chicks, some buff laced, some red or gold.

Longer answer:
Buff Laced rooster with Buff Laced hen should produce Buff Laced chicks. (That was probably obvious.)

A Buff Laced Polish has white lacing on a gold ground color. That white is caused by the gene called Dominant White, which turns all black into white.

When you cross a black chicken with a gold or red chicken, you usually get black chicks. So the Black Polish hen would be expected to produce black chicks. But the Dominant White gene will turn those black chicks into white chicks (with a few black dots here and there, and a maybe some bits of gold showing in places as well.)

The Blue and the gray one are genetically black chickens, with the blue gene turning that black into a gray shade. They would be expected to produce chicks that are blue or black-- but the Dominant White gene will turn those chicks white as well (again, with a few black or blue dots and maybe some bits of gold leakage.)

I'm not very familiar with red polish. Do they have black tail feathers?
If so, you will get chicks in some shade of red or gold, but they will have white tail feathers (Dominant White), and may have some white in other places as well (the genes that cause lacing can cause various other patterns when you cross a laced chicken with a not-laced chicken.)

Short answer: lots of white chicks, some buff laced, some red or gold.

Longer answer:
Buff Laced rooster with Buff Laced hen should produce Buff Laced chicks. (That was probably obvious.)

A Buff Laced Polish has white lacing on a gold ground color. That white is caused by the gene called Dominant White, which turns all black into white.

When you cross a black chicken with a gold or red chicken, you usually get black chicks. So the Black Polish hen would be expected to produce black chicks. But the Dominant White gene will turn those black chicks into white chicks (with a few black dots here and there, and a maybe some bits of gold showing in places as well.)

The Blue and the gray one are genetically black chickens, with the blue gene turning that black into a gray shade. They would be expected to produce chicks that are blue or black-- but the Dominant White gene will turn those chicks white as well (again, with a few black or blue dots and maybe some bits of gold leakage.)

I'm not very familiar with red polish. Do they have black tail feathers?
If so, you will get chicks in some shade of red or gold, but they will have white tail feathers (Dominant White), and may have some white in other places as well (the genes that cause lacing can cause various other patterns when you cross a laced chicken with a not-laced chicken.)
Yes, the red polish have some black tail feathers, and some black along the neck. They are very very pretty.
Now I am curious-- what happens if you cross a buff laced with a silver or gold laced? I have not done that, I am just wondering

Now I am curious-- what happens if you cross a buff laced with a silver or gold laced? I have not done that, I am just wondering
Buff Laced crossed with Gold Laced just gives you more Buff Laced, but they carry the gene for black lacing (so don't sell them as "pure" Buff Laced, or someone will have a surprise when they hatch some chicks with black lacing!)

Silver Laced rooster with Buff Laced hen gives White Laced Silver (white-on-white), with the "silver" maybe being yellowish or looking dirty. The sons also carry the gene for gold but the daughters do not, and both genders carry the gene for black lacing.

Buff Laced rooster with Silver Laced hen gives sexlinked chicks. Sons are White Laced Silver (probably not a clean silver), and daughters are Buff Laced. The sons also carry the gene for gold, and both genders carry the gene for black lacing.

Buff Laced crossed with Gold Laced just gives you more Buff Laced, but they carry the gene for black lacing (so don't sell them as "pure" Buff Laced, or someone will have a surprise when they hatch some chicks with black lacing!)

Silver Laced rooster with Buff Laced hen gives White Laced Silver (white-on-white), with the "silver" maybe being yellowish or looking dirty. The sons also carry the gene for gold but the daughters do not, and both genders carry the gene for black lacing.

Buff Laced rooster with Silver Laced hen gives sexlinked chicks. Sons are White Laced Silver (probably not a clean silver), and daughters are Buff Laced. The sons also carry the gene for gold, and both genders carry the gene for black lacing.
O the POSSIBILITIES!

I don't need more chickens, noooo

This is the first chick from that initial batch of eggs!! Appears to be a white (or gold?) chick with some smutty markings on the back-- exactly as you said!

Attachments

• 20220519_222826.jpg
    20220519_222826.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 39
Genetics are fascinating. Would this be a genetically white chick with "leakage" over its whole body? Would breeding this with another black polish result in white chicks?

Oo, a single black chick has snuck through
Genetics are fascinating. Would this be a genetically white chick with "leakage" over its whole body? Would breeding this with another black polish result in white chicks?
Um, I don't think this is supposed to happen :eek:

Is there any chance one of the hens mated with a different rooster in the weeks before you started collecting eggs for hatching? That would be the simplest explanation.

Back
Top Bottom